Caught in the Middle

This is based on the song 'Caught in the Middle' by A1. 

Adrien sat next to Marinette placing a piece of vanilla cake into his mouth as she gushed to her parents about how delicious each and every piece has been.

They'd tried so many flavours that Adrien was wondering how they would ever choose just one. He looked over at his fiance, enthralled by the excitement she was displaying about something as simple as choosing their wedding cake. Unknown to her though, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He loved her, really he did. They seemed to fit together well, and she filled in a part of his life that was empty. A missing puzzle piece to his jigsaw. However, as she slotted in another had cruelly taken her piece out. He was still incomplete. She never had the time for him. She never wanted him, even though he tried for years and years. There was always another, and to make it worse she was now engaged to the other 'boy'. The boy she loved.

With her, he had history, they had something no others would have, a certain trust, a certain level of commitment, the need to protect each other. That was never enough for her though. This other boy was everything she wanted, she made that clear every time he questioned her. It was over, he had to move on himself, so he did.

He loved Marinette, but only with half his heart. As soon as he saw her again, his heart swayed and, now, he was caught in the middle.

~~~~~~~~

"Goal!" Adrien ran up to Marinette, grabbing her and spinning her around. Her laugh was heavenly and brightened his days. Her happiness meant everything to him. He loved to see her smile. He loved to put that smile on her face.

"That's my girl." He placed her feet down onto the grass and kissed her gently on the lips.

"Get a room!" Kim shouted, causing the others to shout too and wolf whistle at them.

Marinette's confidence never failed to amaze him, as she grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him down for a deeper kiss. Adrien wholeheartedly responded to Marinette's affections, enjoying every feeling she brought to him. The joy, the love, the brightness. Some days he really thought he was moving on. He really thought he was over her, until an alert sounded putting him in turmoil. He was going to see her again.

"Akuma!" Alya announced, grabbing Nino and running off in the direction the news broadcast had announced.

Like a memory that couldn't be erased, he guided his fiancee to safety before running off to transform. Running towards the other half of his heart.

Making his way up to their rooftop, the embedded memories of her made their way back to the surface. His love was here to stay.

He thought he was over her, he was wrong.

He thought it would be easy once he was with Marinette, he was wrong.

He was caught in the middle.

~~~~~~~~

Adrien sat inside of the church dressing room, Nino by his side, hip flask in hand. There was nothing wrong with a bit of dutch courage before waiting at the bottom of the aisle, was there? All the grooms did it, didn't they?

His thoughts began to run away from him, and for the final time, he made his comparison.

Marinette was different. She was the sunshine on a rainy day.

His Lady was his warmth, thawing his once frozen heart.

Loving Marinette was easy, she was just so easy to love.