Raining on Prom Night

Adrien never thought he'd relate so much to a song from Grease. But here he was...raining tears from his eyes over her.

-Or-

It's prom night and Adrien only has one question: Is he too late?

I fell in love with Dori.Sketches 40k DITY's artwork... but unfortunately I cannot draw; so here's a 5,000 word one shot instead.

Congratulations Dori. sketches, your work is wonderful and so inspiring <3

•••••

The lights flashed around the atrium of the collège, as Jagged Stone's most recent hit played at full base through the expensive sound system setup purely for this occasion; Adrien swearing he could feel the beats in his throat. The pounding rhythm of the song that all the party goers were bouncing around too meant nothing to him; he stood solo on the sidelines, trying to keep unwanted advances away.

If anyone had told him (the previous day?) that he'd be standing here alone, he wouldn't have believed them. It wasn't that he was egotistical enough to know he was attractive and, as a lot of girls labelled him, 'a catch'; yes he knew there were many who wanted to be on his arm, to be his date; but that didn't matter, all that mattered was the reveal of a rather interesting piece of information, one he seemed to have been oblivious to over the past year.

Or maybe it was two pieces of information?

The smell of sweat was increasing at the same time as the pace of the movements, but all he could do was look at the doorway, at the arch which he prayed would reveal her presence...the one he wanted on his arm.

His best friend.

His biggest supporter.

His loyal partner.

...and his Lady.

That afternoon had been, for lack of a better word, memorable. The unplanned reveal seemed to add another layer of bricks to the wall between them; her face would forever etched into his mind as what seemed like disappointing shock took over her usually sweet smile.

She was avoiding him, that much was true; the longer he looked at the doorway, the more he realised it was useless. She wasn't coming, the wall was still solidly placed between them, keeping them away from each other. But this time it hurt more, it felt personal.

This was their last event at collège. The last one before they moved forward into the big bad world and had to begin to make life altering choices. He knew theirs were restricted. Super villains and missing Miraculous' limited their future options and dreams for both of them – for the time being at least. But he was adamant about one thing, as long as she was by his side, he would go anywhere she needed him - anywhere; and not just as Chat Noir, as Adrien too.

He was a goner when it came to Marinette Dupain-Cheng, whether in pink and cherry blossoms or red and black polka dot, she was his everything, and he was quite sure she always would be.

He'd told her. That afternoon. He'd placed his heart on the line as he declared his feelings for Marinette, how he wanted to bring her to the dance tonight, to share these last few moments together with their friends, with the hope that this one night would turn into wonderful dates, and memories...maybe even true love.

Her face told him she wasn't comfortable, that she was considering something more complex than a Sudoku puzzle, something that she needed to treat with delicacy and care. Then the words slipped her lips, and a waterfall of pain slammed him hard in the chest.