Trying not to hurt each other, hurts - Reunited ⚠️

Adrien poured out the three fingers of whisky before collapsing on his sofa tumbler in hand. He looked around the lounge of his new apartment, boxes still scattered everywhere. But he was home. He was finally home.

He'd left two years ago to attend a respite. His father had been unveiled as Hawkmoth and he just couldn't cope. His friends had supported him, making sure he got the support and care he needed. He was a mess.

Two years later though, and he is back. Fully discharged and ready to start his new life as the son of the villain of Paris. During his time in respite he had Plagg with him. The comfort of the little kwami helped support him through the harder days and be there to celebrate his successes. Even though the kwami was only an entity, he was Adrien's best friend, barr one. One who promised she'd be there for him when he returned home.

He necked back the whisky in one move. First day back in Paris and it was already shit.

During his time away he noticed the Miraculous team had changed dynamics, no longer was Ladybug patrolling alone or with Rena Rouge, a certain snake hero had been seen more and more often. He felt replaced. Exchanged for a new model. Plagg was there to comfort him, every time he lost his control. This was the reason it had taken two years to come back. He couldn't get over the fact his Lady had moved on.

She said she'd wait, his mind raced with the last memories he had with Marinette. They'd revealed, they were happy, they were in love, but his mental health made him leave.

As the weeks went by and he saw the change in Marinette and Luka's relationship, he began to not call or message as much. He was terrified. Terrified that one day she'd pick up the phone and tell him she no longer wanted him. That he was damaged goods. That he couldn't please her anymore. So he left it, he became a ghost to her. A distant memory. When he'd arrived back that morning, and hoped to all God like creatures she'd be there with open arms, his heartbroke. She wasn't there. She was getting her nails done for her big date that evening. A date that wasn't with him.

Adrien stood up and made his way to the kitchen again, poured anyone three fingers before slumping on a bar stool. Head against the cold granite of his kitchen table, and a heavy pain in his heart.

She'd come to see him a couple of hours ago, freshly manicured, and as beautiful as the day he left. He broke. Everything broke down and he spilled his guts. He told her everything. His love for her, the feelings of betrayal, his hurt for being replaced, the fact he would never be good enough for her, the fear of calling her to find she'd moved on. He laughed at himself as the tears fell. Screwed himself over royally there.

She didn't cry. Nope, Marinette was the strong Ladybug she always was. She didn't even try to console him. Just watched as he broke down. She was probably thinking about how to get him back into therapy, he was a blithering idiot. A broken idiot. She asked about Plagg and whether, as Guardian, there was anything she could do for him.

Plagg remained silent through the whole conversation, obviously knowing the extent of his owner's heartbreak.

She said she'd wait. Yet here he was drinking away his sorrows. He'd been watching the Amber liquid swirl around the tumbler as he turned it. Alcoholism, that could be something new to try. He heard it could take away your pain and your fear, a few of the guys he spent his days with told him that. They found it pathetic that he was only there with depression and anxiety, another reason for taking him longer to stabilise.

As Marinette left she didn't even look back. She didn't even say goodbye, she just stood up and made her way to her fancy night out with her fancy fella. Nino had filled Adrien in, tonight was the night Luka was proposing. He'd lost his chance, all because he was scared. Funny how what he was scared about had hit him squarely between the eyes. By not calling, he'd pushed her into doing the one thing he didn't want to happen.