Stone Cold

Stone cold, stone cold

You see me standing, but I'm dying on the floor

He watched them dancing in the middle of the floor, the lump in his stomach being covered by the liquid courage he needed to continue being here. Worst of all he was part of the wedding party, part of the celebration and he had to pretend he was ecstatic about what was happening in front of him. He reached up and placed a hand over his mouth, rubbing the beginning of his stubble before placing the bottle to his lips again and washing down the feelings of hurt, betrayal and discomfort. Each of the feelings being one he knew he didn't deserve to feel. She caught his eye and he lifted his beer bottle, her smile kicking him hard in the gut. She was happy, so damn happy.

Stone cold, stone cold
Maybe if I don't cry, I won't feel anymore

He hadn't cried in a few weeks, which to him was an achievement. The wedding had been a shotgun one. One that had only come after the announcement of the baby ... or should he say babies. Twins. She was going to have twins. They'd announced it with a gender reveal, it seems they were late finding out due to the stress of everything else going on in their lives. She hadn't even realised she'd missed her period.

Twenty years old, getting married and having twins, it could only happen to them.

Stone cold, baby
God knows I try to feel
Happy for you

He had known this was coming, god they'd pretty much been together since they were fourteen, who else would she be marrying but him. It was an absolute no brainer, but that didn't make it any easier. The more he learnt about her, the two sides of her, the more he fell. It was like a celebrity crush, but the opposite way round. Seeing the hidden identity before the public one. He thought he knew her, like really knew her, but he hadn't had a clue. Him though ... the man with the heroine in his arms ... he knew her in a way nobody else did. A melodic rhythm that both their hearts beat for. They were perfect together and that's what made it worse.

Stone cold, stone cold
You're dancing with her, while I'm staring at my phone

He pulls out his phone, pretending to take a picture and fawning over them like everyone else, where really he just wants to get drunk and stumble his way up to his room for the evening. Away from the crowds, away from everyone fawning over the new 'Mr and Mrs'.

He pulls up his instagram feed and it's just full of them ... them ... them! Did nobody think about him as they posted the pictures? Obviously not, because there it was the one he dreaded, the one of him standing at the altar but not because he was the groom, oh no, he was third best. He hadn't even made it to the best man regardless of their friendship.

With a huff he closed down his phone and placed it back in his pocket. The woman next to him swayed into him, apologising for her drunk and disorderly behaviour before informing him how perfect the couple were in the middle of the floor, and if he had heard the rumour about why the bride wasn't drinking. Yes, he'd heard the 'rumour' ... it was no rumour though. She was carrying his children, something so cement and permanent he knew they would be together forever.

Stone cold, stone cold

I was your amber, but now she's your shade of gold

Of course he was brought up in the best man's speech. A little nudge that he hadn't got her, that she'd finally seen the light and went for the one she was most connected to. He laughed along with their friends, rolling his eyes at the sly glances, none of them understanding how much that had stabbed him in the chest. Years he'd loved her, years! He would argue longer than the groom, but he knew he wouldn't win. Too many secrets shared amongst the group which would just make him look bitter and spiteful. They didn't deserve that, not on today of all days. He was twenty one, goddamnit! Why was he letting his past feelings still control him? He needed to get his act together and move on. Just as she had.

She was undeniably happy, she had been since the day they made it official. That night he went home and cried himself to sleep.

Then there was the engagement and the party. He got hammered that night, punching a wall too hard ending with him putting his fist through the damn thing. He had paid for it later though, paid for it with his hard earned cash.

Then came the baby announcement. Two damn months ago. That night he found comfort with someone else, the someone who'd just appeared beside him, moving the drunk lady out the way.

"We need to talk." Her voice was stern but he couldn't tear his eyes away from the centre of the room to look at her. He knew who it was, and he knew he was confused by his feelings. He loved the woman making out with her life partner in the middle of the room, but he also had heartwarming yet complex feelings about this woman next to him. They'd been comforting each other on and off since they were sixteen.

She was there to dry his tears when they announced they were official.

"Right now?" He said back, finally turning to look at her.

She helped him patch up his fist from punching the wall after their engagement.

"It's important." She explained, and he allowed her to lead him out the room and into the quiet hallway. Checking no one was around she licked her bottom lip before gulping.

She stayed the night with him after the baby announcement, loving him so tenderly he didn't know he could feel so warm and pure with anyone else. The feeling excited him and scared him all at the same time.

"I'm pregnant."

The beer bottle dropped from Luka's hand and shattered on the floor at his feet.

"Please speak to me." He'd never seen Kagami look so scared, he knew she didn't want to have children, she'd said as much the night they'd found out about Marinette and Adrien expecting the twins, but that didn't change anything. If she wanted the child he would be there. Fully there. He'd had an irresponsible father up until he was fifteen, and there was no chance he would allow his child to feel abandoned or unloved.

"Marry me," he said, and his heart blossomed. "Marry me Kagami, let's be a family."

"Are you sure you're ready to be with someone else?" She asked, her hands clutched over her heart in a vulnerable way he never thought he would see on her. His strong, wonderful Kagami.

He thought about how his heart jumped when he saw her walk down the aisle in front of Marinette, his eyes weren't on the bride, they were on her. They met up at least once a week, they spoke via message and called every single day. He loved her, and he wished he'd understood his feelings sooner. She'd been there for years, she was his solid rock. His Kagami.

He stepped forward and took her in his arms, pressing his lips firmly to hers, sighing as she melted against him. His stone cold heart began to thaw and he knew he was finally ready to move forward, but only if it was at the side of this wonderful woman.

~~~~~~

This links to Dadrien Day Care and is the story of Luka and Kagami.