An Affair to Remember

"How long has it been going on?" Adrien asked, sitting down besides his girlfriend - no - ex girlfriend.

"A couple of months."

He exhaled and looked at the hands joined together in his lap, one knee bouncing up and down. He began to nod and slowly turned his head to the side, meeting her water filled eyes.

"And are you sure this is what you want? That you want to be with him?"

She nodded back to him, sniffing and wiping under her nose.

"It'll be for the best. I love you Adrien, I truly do ... but this - us - it just can't work." Marinette felt her heartbreak a little. She hadn't wanted to end this with Adrien, but she had no choice. She had been caught up in a whirlwind affair and her heart had been split. She had to decide, and she hadn't chosen him.

"Does - does he make you happy?" Adrien questioned his once girlfriend.

"Yes," she replied. She didn't want to give anymore away. She didn't want Adrien hunting down her other man, it just wouldn't work out well for any of them.

"I just want you to be happy," Adrien said, a small smile aimed at the wonderful girl next to him. "You mean a lot to me, Marinette."

She broke down in tears and flung her arms around one of the most wonderful, kind and genuine men she had ever met.

Her close friend.

Her first love.

Her boyfriend of eight hard, long months where the secrets just got too much.

She needed to be with someone who knew, someone who understood and luckily, there was someone in that position who could help heal her heart.

"Friends?" He asked. Marinette spiralled into a flashback of her first failed relationship. Another time, another lie.

"Friends." She agreed, moving away to wipe her face free of tears again.

"I better go." Adrien said, standing up and moving towards the door. She wanted to stop him, she really did but there was no use, it was time to let go of Adrien Agreste, it was time to finally move on.

~~~~~~

It had been two weeks since Marinette had told Adrien about her affair, about the other guy who she had fallen in love with and she had been yet to bump into him. They were currently on break from school meaning Marinette wouldn't have to stare at the back of Adrien's head wishing she could run her fingers through his golden mane.

She still loved him and she believed she always would, but she had committed to another. She had kissed another numerous times whilst they were together and now that they were apart. She never thought she would be that type of woman and it sickened her to know that she was. What would her mother think?

Alya knew, of course, exactly what had happened and with whom, and as happy she was for her friend, she couldn't help the hint of sadness she felt for Adrien. The poor boy just wanted to be loved, and he wanted to be loved by Marinette. Marinette had kept her distance from the group over the last couple of weeks claiming it was 'guardian' duty, however, Alya knew she was purposefully avoiding time with Adrien. The poor guy just couldn't catch a break.

Alya and Nino were currently with the rest of the gang on the Liberty. Kitty Section had been rehearsing ready for their performance that evening at a charity gala at the school, and that's when she saw them together for the first time since the split with Adrien.

He was lying in between her legs, as she casually stroked his hair, every now and then stopping to kiss him on the forehead. They looked so happy together, and Alya couldn't help the feeling swell in her chest. Marinette looked the happiest she'd seen her in months, maybe even a year, including the time spent with Adrien.