Queen of My Heart

The crowds were cheering wildly in the background but Chat Noir felt anything but happy.

It was his father that had done this. His father that had terrorised his friends, his family, his city ... her.

He watched over the red skies, seeing fireworks exploding, the noisy bangs only second in volume to the residents of Paris as they rejoiced his fathers extermination because that's what you did with pesky bugs after all, you exterminate them, taking away their power.

He stood staring over the crowds of people gathered to celebrate the hero's defeat of Shadowmoth, knowing what he needed to do next.

He needed to get away for a while.

He needed to let it all settle.

The sound of a 'thwhip' could be heard in the distance, extending and retracting as it got closer and closer. He knew who it would be. She was the only other hero who knew about his private place, their place.

A soft thud of her boots alerted him to her presence, the feel of her hand in his, entwining their fingers together bringing him back to the present time and what he was wanting to do.

God he didn't want to, she was everything to him, but he had to.

He turned his head and looked down at her, her tears matching his own, and the look on her face told him everything he needed to know. She wasn't sure if her tears were happy or sad tears either.

He stretched out to her face, wiping away the remnants of three years in battle, the remains of the self sacrifice they'd both made, the evidence of heartbreak. He knew they could be mended, but he needed time and he prayed she'd give it to him. That she'd believe they could last into eternity.

She moved forward and cupped his face, pressing her damp salty lips to his, letting him know that she wanted him as much as he wanted her. He closed his eyes remembering the exact way she felt, the exact way she tasted before moving away.

She had her dreams and deserved to fly, she'd given so much. Her life, her soul ... her love.

He stepped away, moving out of her grasp and allowing more tears to fall.

It was time to go.

He couldn't say goodbye, it just didn't feel right so he said nothing.

He stopped short of the edge of the building and removed the staff from his back. He turned around and caught the glimmer in her eyes, the telltale sign of tears. With a curt nod, he turned back, took a deep breath and launched into the night sky.

That was the first time he looked back.

•••••

The second time was different.

The second time, it was her.

She knew who he was, even without an identity reveal she knew he was Adrien Agreste.

Chat Noir's devastation of knowing who Shadowmoth was, combined with the absence of Adrien in Paris, it wasn't hard to piece together and confirm.

He'd moved to England to stay with his aunt, away from all the whispered rumours and looks, but luckily she had an aunt there too.

She'd messaged him letting him know she was visiting for a couple of days and would love to see him. He was quick on his response, waiting for her train to arrive like a lost kitty.

Marinette didn't know if he'd pieced it together with who she was but she'd dropped a couple of hints to hopefully plant the seed in his head. The enthusiasm from his latest call filled her with hope that he wanted to see her as much as she did him.