A New Years Kiss

Marinette grabbed a glass of champagne off the tray on her return from the restroom and stood on her tiptoes attempting to look over the party goers heads. Even with the added addition of insanely high heels, she was still a few inches shorter than anyone else, making the task almost impossible.

She trailed her eyes from left to right, looking for where her friends had gotten to. She'd only been gone a couple of minutes, how could they have disappeared so quickly?

She pulled her phone out of her clutch bag currently under her armpit, and selected the group chat app.

No new messages.

The OG's

LadyLuck
Hi guys, where are you?

Cat-sonova
Hiding

LadyLuck
Why?

What the Fox Said
Lila's here!!!!!!

Marinette winced and typed again.

LadyLuck
Where are you hiding?

Marinette kept her phone in one hand and the champagne flute in the other, all while trying to hold her clutch under her armpit. Any other person would find this easy, but with the addition of Marinette's heels, the endless champagne and her clumsiness, she was quite sure she was going to end up on the floor in the most unattractive way.

She began to move, weaving herself through the crowds shouting her apologies over the music as she stumbled and crashed into them. She was currently at a very high profile New Year's Eve event at the Grand Hotel, all thanks to Adrien. The ballroom was full of upper class citizens (stuck up snobs), famous designers, singers, actors (rich stuck up snobs) and people with more money than sense (very rich stuck up snobs that knew it). Unfortunately that also meant a night with undesirables such as Lila and Felix.

Marinette continued her walk around the room noting how beautifully they had decorated the tables and the walls. The theme was gold which meant a lot of metallic and shiny decorations hung about the room, from garlands to candles, from seat bows to table cloths, everything was something of a designer's dream.

They'd already eaten a five course meal, drank an abundance of free champagne and now they were hitting the dance floor and getting geared up for the midnight countdown. Marinette had left her three friends to go to the restroom, mainly to check on Tikki and to reapply her lip stain. Her lips held their usual pink shine and coordinated beautifully with the gold sequin dress she was currently wearing. Her hair had been pulled into a tight updo, and, for once, she felt like a Princess, not a hot mess of a newly aged adult with a superhero alter ego. Tonight she was the Marinette Dupain-Cheng and she was out on a mission.

Mission: Kiss Adrien at midnight.

She'd been working up to this for weeks now. She'd designed the dress to make sure it accented all her best features and she'd worn the pretty pink lip stain Adrien had mentioned recently in passing. Even Alya thought tonight couldn't go wrong. Everything was, for once, working in the way she wanted it to. No big plan, just Marinette and Adrien sharing a kiss at midnight. All was going well, until it wasn't.

Enter Lila Rossi stage right.

As they had sat down at their table (representing the Gabriel brand, of course) they noticed there were two additional places set up. Adrien, Nino, Alya and Marinette sat alongside the Gorilla, only to be joined by none other than their 'best friends' Lila Rossi and Felix Graham de Vanily. As Adrien began his gentlemany pleasantries, Alya had worked her magic and switched up the name cards, keeping Marinette and Adrien away from the pathological liar and in between herself and the Gorilla.