✿ tamaki ✿

A/N: yeah sorry this one took so long, i had an idea for a future chapter and got caught up writing that instead sooo yeah you'll see that one later lol

pov: tamaki
i was wandering around the halls of the school in search of something to do, i'd been bored all day. a brightly colored flyer on the floor caught my eye advertising for some kind of tournament and i picked it up, trying to read the smudged writing. it looked like it'd been stepped on multiple times and the words were barely legible but i could decipher that it was taking place in the campus gymnasium in half an hour. should i go? i don't have anything better to do and mirio and nejire aren't here so...sure why not. i put the flyer in my pocket and started walking towards the gym. i heard faint humming from somewhere out of sight and i tried to figure out where it was coming from, following the beautiful sound until i turned a corner and saw an equally beautiful girl picking more flyers up off the floor. i was immediately drawn to her and my feet moved on their own, walking closer and closer and before i knew it i'd picked up the last flyer and handed it to her. she stopped humming abruptly and her face flushed in embarrassment, "s-sorry i didn't hear you come over here" she said, burying her face in her hands. wow she's just as shy as i am, i thought, and obviously a first year although she looks younger. i should say hello, mirio said i need to make more friends and she doesn't look very intimidating at all! "hello" i said nervously with a small smile. she smiled back and said, "hi", in a small voice. "sorry for startling you. and don't apologize, your singing was really pretty" i said, being bold for once and putting my hand out for her to shake, "i guess i haven't introduced myself, hi i'm tamaki amajiki from class 3A" she smiled and shook my hand shyly, "i'm tsukina (Y/N) from class 1A. and i know who you are, you're one of the big 3! i think you're super cool" she said with a cheerful smile. i blushed and smiled back, you just can't not smile around this girl! "t-thanks. hey wait i recognize you too, weren't you in the news a few times? you're the girl who got kidnapped! and saved your friend from a villain! i think you're pretty cool too" i said excitedly. i'd secretly been wanting to meet her ever since she first came on the news even though i thought i'd never be able to talk to her. she spread her arms, "that's me" and put the flyers in her backpack. she checked the time on her phone and her eyes widened, "oh no i'm gonna be late! i've gotta go sorry tamaki, see you later!" she said, waving at me as she dashed away down the hall. "oh ok...bye..." i waved back and looked at the clock, seeing it was almost time for the tournament too so i started walking to the gym. when i got there everyone was finding seats and i sat down at the edge of the auditorium, waiting to see what would happen. just then, 20 people came out of the locker rooms wearing white suits and mesh masks, carrying long thin swords in their gloved hands. they separated into two teams, each lining up on either sides of the gym. the teams seemed to be differentiated by the stripes on the collars of their jackets, blue on one team and red on the other. a loud voice came over the speakers, "welcome everyone to the annual UA vs Shiketsue fencing tournament! if you didn't figure it out, UA is on the right side of the gym with the blue stripes, and Shiketsue is on the right with the green! before anyone goes complaining to the coach, yes it is a mixed boys and girls sport, no that doesn't matter because they are equally skilled, and no they do not share a locker room. now that we've cleared that up, let's introduce our team captains! they were nominated by combination of being the best in their team and the rest of the team's votes. Shiketsue! send your captain to the front." a tall figure from the green striped team made their way to the front, waving to the crowd as they cheered. "UA! send your captain up!" the smallest figure on the blue team walked nervously to the front, standing next to the taller one and waving nervously to the cheering crowd. i could tell by the taller figure's body language that they weren't impressed, incredulous even. but before anyone could say anything an air horn blew and the voice said, "crowd, sit down. fencers to your positions!" the masked students formed neat lines with the two teams facing each other. they bowed to their opponents and drew their swords. "en garde!" their coach yelled, and they got into position with their swords in the air. "allez!" they attacked each other, swords clanging against each other as the masked students moved back and forth, trying to hit their opponent. one by one, the losers of each match went back to the sides of the gym and the winners fought each other until there was only two masked fencers left on the floor. i recognized them as the two captains and kept my eyes on the smaller person, curious as to how they were nominated as team captain. i mean they're so small and they were so nervous to even come up to the front, it's counterintuitive! i watched closely as they got into position, waiting for the smaller figure to show the crowd why they're captain, and the coach shouted "allez!" sending them into a whirlwind of clanging swords and attempts at scoring points. the bigger person seemed to be struggling to defend themselves as the smaller person's nervousness seemed to melt away. small seemed much more confident now and blocked big's advances easily, hitting point after point on them almost effortlessly. i could tell by big's body language they weren't expecting this and were getting frustrated at small's unexpected expertise. big was getting desperate now, stabbing their sword randomly while being pushed back by small who parried and blocked every stab, returning them with quick jabs to big's chest and earning them points. small seemed to glide across the floor while big stumbled, small's insane reflexes giving them the upper hand even if they were lacking in size. they delivered a final jab to an open spot on big's jacket and the coach waved a blue flag, signaling that UA had won! big threw their sword to the ground in anger and only bowed to small after being forced by their teacher. "UA WINS!!!" the loudspeaker voice said enthusiastically and small seemed to remember the crowd was there, nervousness taking over their body language again. upon being prompted by their teachers, the two captains took off their masks, revealing who was underneath. big took his off first. he was tall, muscular, and blonde, his cold blue eyes glaring daggers at small. small took hers off next, shaking out her ponytail and giving big a small wave and a nervous smile. upon closer inspection, i recognized her as the girl from the hall! tsukina (Y/N) right? i didn't think she'd be the type to fence, she was so shy and sweet! now i admire her even more though, even though she's younger than me i find myself looking up to her. i looked back down to the floor and saw a crowd beginning to form around them and saw tsukina slip out the door before they could mob her.