18. Bloodshot

Date: November 25th

Jay looked around in confusion. Sunghoon wasn't here today. Now he wasn't necessarily the most academic person. Like he didn't really care about attendance that much, but it was still weird that he wasn't here today.

Homeroom went on like normal, and then he went to his next few classes. Sunghoon wasn't in art either, and when he went to lunch, he didn't see him there.

As soon as he sat by Niki and Jungwon at their table, he saw Sunoo quickly walking over to him with bloodshot eyes. "Hyung? I-I need to talk to you."

Jay was concerned and stood up to follow him, ignoring his friends who were confused. "What is it?" He asked when they were in a secluded part of the school.

"Jake and Heeseung are out of town, and I need to talk to a Hyung about this because it's horrible."

"Couldn't you talk about it with Sunghoon?"

Sunoo whimpered and shook his head. "This is about Sunghoon." He took his phone out and went to his gallery. "I was on a call with him the other day, and Kangdae came into his room, and-"

He hiccuped and Jay soothingly rubbed his back. "It's okay. Continue."

"He started yelling at him, so I screenrecorded the call just in case something bad happened, and then I plugged my ears and let it continue. And I think they went to sleep and I hung up the call." He also took his earbuds out and plugged them into his phone before handing it to Jay. "Maybe you should listen to some of it."

"How bad is it?"

Sunoo looked away, making Jay's eyes widen. He sat on the steps. Again, this was a very secluded part of the school. And he put the earbuds in to listen to it.

By the time it was over, their next period was over, but they just sat there. Jay stared at the floor in shock as the audio went silent, nodding slowly as his eyes focused on one floor tile.

"That's it," he said, standing up.

"Don't do anything irrational." Sunoo followed him. "There's no point in ruining your life just to have a few moments of happiness beating his ass."

"Then what do you expect me to do?"

Sunoo was smart. People took that for granted. But he literally recorded what happened a couple nights before.

"The police will literally have to help him if they hear the recording."

"So... we take this fight to the police?" Jay asked, opening the door to walk outside. Sunoo nodded and he sighed. "Fine. But if they don't do anything, I'll take matters into my own hands."

***

"You have evidence?" The secretary asked.

Even if they didn't, the cops would go anyway. But this way it would make it easier for them to find Kangdae guilty.

"Yes. A recording." Sunoo explained what happened. "Sunghoon's parents said he hasn't been home. He might be at his boyfriend's house."

"What's the man's name?"

"Choi Kangdae," Sunoo answered, and her eyes widened.

"Yes, I know him. He's had multiple domestic cases before. It's no surprise it happened again."

The chief came out and started talking with them too, making Jay's hopes go up a little bit.

"We'll go there-"

"Can we come with?" Jay asked. "Maybe it'll make him feel better seeing our faces."

The man nodded and started talking on his walkie talkie. "I'm sending the address right now. I need all available cars en route to this house. I'll be there soon. Turn off your lights and sirens and wait down the street."