1. Grow Up

Date: August 22nd

"And a side of fries."

"It's breakfast hours."

"Oh yeah... hashbrowns then."

Jay stared out the window while his mom ordered food in the drive thru at McDonald's. He just listened to music on his phone whenever they were in the car. A lot of the time, he did it when he was nervous. He was nervous today.

Well, not really. He had had many first days of school in this district. Most of the time, he had his classes with the same students he was with the year before.

But this was his last first day of school. That meant he was growing up.

His mom offered to drive him and get McDonald's along the way though, so he calmed down a little bit. He ate the food as they were driving, biting his lip when the large school came into view.

"Mother, your child is in need of comfort as he is scared."

"Jay-"

"I don't wanna grow up. Can't I like... crawl back inside you?"

"Jay Park, if you don't get your ass out of this car, I'll whoop you in front of all these people!"

His eyes widened and he nodded, giving her a kiss on the cheek before getting out. His heart was pounding in his chest and he took a deep breath.

You know the hierarchy in schools? How there's the popular girls, jocks, middle class, and unpopular students? He was middle class. People knew him, he had friends, wasn't bullied, but he wasn't "popular" at the same time.

And as a middle class student, there were a lot of people he didn't like. There were the popular students who were too entitled to speak to him. And then there were the unpopular students who were just plain rude to him when he would try to be nice.

Even the middle class students got on his nerves.

More specifically, a middle-classman who was the absolute bane of his existence.

A black-haired, five-foot-ten, visual God who's presence constantly pressed every. single. one of Jay's buttons. His charming aura and next level way of annoying Jay was what made the older hate him so much.

Park fucking Sunghoon.

The black-haired boy was talking with a few of his friends by the main door. Jake, who moved here from Australia a year ago, was his best friend. Heeseung and Sunoo were the other two. They were all friends, which made them all stare at Jay as soon as he walked through the gate.

The hatred was mutual. Sunghoon hated Jay, and their friend groups hated each other, although they were oblivious as to why.

Jay's friends were Jungwon and Niki. Both were pretty calm but playful, and they acted like they were older than Jay, which wasn't true in the slightest.

As he walked past, he made eye contact with Sunghoon for a second. The younger still had a smile on his face from a joke told by Sunoo a second ago, but he quickly looked away as soon as Jay looked at him.

Usually when they saw each other, it would end in an argument, but Jay just walked past him and into the building. He wanted this year to be better. He wanted to be more mature and just graduate so he could leave and never have to talk to Sunghoon again.

This year could be easy. It was honestly just his choice.

Just don't talk to Sunghoon. It's not that hard.

But every year, he told himself that. And every year, the bitch talked to him first and they had screaming matches for the next couple hundred days until summer arrived again.