(31.) Choosing To Do the Right Thing

When night had completely fallen, your camp was only half complete. The rain had ruined most of the twigs you'd found, but a small fire had started nonetheless.

Your nausea wouldn't go away no matter how hard you tried to concentrate on anything else, even after collecting a bounty and turning it in.

It took some time, but you had calmed down and managed to get comfortable on your bedroll. It was cold without Arthur, but you couldn't imagine trying to sleep with him right now. You couldn't stop thinking of the way Mrs. Londonderry had looked at you; disturbed, angry and sad.

You couldn't face Strauss now either.

Your eyelids became heavy and you fell asleep at some point in the night.

As soon as you woke up, you packed your things onto the back of your horse and started a trot to camp.

You were going to get out of this place; you just needed to convince Arthur. Or maybe you wouldn't—maybe he was just as ready to run away as you were.

Karen and Bill greeted you on the way into camp, both of them slightly intoxicated. The gang had damn near become a joke.

Your eyes found Micah and Dutch by the cave's entrance first, and then fell on Sadie, Arthur and Hosea talking near John's tent.

You hitched your horse on their post and fast-walked to small group. Whatever they were talking about looked serious.

Arthur's back was to you, so Sadie and Hosea noticed you first.

She moved away from the group and jogged over to you, a grin on her face. You gave her a skeptical look as Arthur turned around at your presence.

"They're gonna hang Colm next week," she said, the smile getting just a little wider. "You came home just in time."

"Not sure I can call this place home anymore," you said, looking around to see where Strauss was. If you wanted to remain sane, you needed to avoid him at all costs.

"If you're lookin' for Strauss, Arthur kicked 'im out last night. He wasn't very happy," she said, making you look up at him.

Both Hosea and Arthur were looking at you, but when your head came up Arthur's went back down.

"Arthur kicked Strauss out?" you said, shifting your weight onto your other foot. "And Colm's bein' hanged. My week just got good."

"Well don't get too excited," she sighed. "Charles needs help with some Indians at the Wapiti Reservation; the Army stole some of their horses and we could use another hand."

"Yeah, yeah sure," you said, tucking some hair behind your ear. "When do we leave?"

"Sunset...robbin' in broad daylight ain't a bright idea."

You nodded, looking past her to Arthur again. He was talking to Hosea again, eyebrows scrunched in thought.

"You scared him last night," she said, nodding to him. "He needs you right now, y/n. He told me about Mrs. Londonderry and I...we all hated Strauss, we all should've asked him to stop. It weren't just you."

"I know, it's just...I've still got time to do things right, and she doesn't—how can that be fair?"

"Life ain't fair, y/n. You're the one thing in life you can control, so control you."

"I—" you started, but you made eye contact with Arthur and you couldn't stay away from him any longer. "Thank you, Sadie. I'll be ready at sunset."

She patted your shoulder and you fast-walked to Arthur. He noticed you coming and sadness filled his features.

"Arthur," you breathed quietly.