(35.) An Unfortunate Face

***Hey everyone, I'm so sorry for the hiatus. I finally got back into red dead and this is probably the best story I have ever written and I am particularly proud of this chapter. Thank you to everyone who has been reading this story despite my absence and I hope this 6,400 word chapter can make up for it. Thank you all!

P.S., there is an Epilogue to this story!! So stay tuned 💗

***

Arthur watched in horror as his best friend and his lover fell off the train, both injured—if not dead.

"Arthur, on your right!" warned Sadie, and he snapped out of it.

He spun the gatling gun in the direction of the oncoming soldiers and took them down quickly. Bullets surrounded him but he kept his head low and kept his finger on the trigger.

"We gotta move up, come on Arthur!" yelled Bill, and Arthur abandoned the gun. The train was quickly approaching what remained of Bacchus Bridge.

"There's the money carriage. You got the dynamite?" asked Sadie.

"Yeah, I got it," Arthur sighed, placing a stick on the door. He lit the fuse and took cover behind some crates.

The door came flying off in pieces. When the smoke settled, Arthur climbed into the carriage and whistled.

"We got something!" he said, his voice tinted with excitation. "Oh we got something!"

He began throwing bags of money to the remaining members of the gang. When he looked up, he realized how little time he had left.

"Jump, Arthur!" Hosea commanded. He was matching the speed of the train with his horse.

Shots began to fire again and Arthur shot back. He turned for just a moment and saw that he only had seconds.

He heard a horse cry out and when he looked back, Hosea was gone.

"Arthur, jump!" Sadie yelled. He turned around slowly, his reaction delayed.

"Goddamnit!" Sadie yelled again, grabbing Arthur around the waist as she shoved him off of the train.

It derailed only moments later, sending the train tumbling to the bottom of the ravine.

"Hosea," Arthur began to say.

"Where is he?" asked Sadie.

"I don't—he was there, and then I didn't see 'im when I turned around—"

"Come on, grab that bag and we'll look for 'im. He probably had to move from the gunfire," Sadie assured him.

Arthur knew deep down that something was wrong. He couldn't help but feel the dread of what was to come for Hosea's fate, and everyone else's.

The two of them walked towards the rest of the gang who had formed somewhat together on the side of the tracks.

A horse lay dead beside them.

Hosea's horse.

Arthur dropped the bag from his shoulder and ran to the crowd, searching for him.

His eyes fell to the ground adjacent to the horse where Hosea's body lay unmoving. Blood was coming out of his nose and mouth, and pooled around his head.

"No," Arthur whispered breathlessly. "No..."

"Oh, shit," Sadie mournfully replied.

"Hosea..." Arthur said quietly. He leaned down to get a better look at him before closing Hosea's eyes.