(29.) The Path to Division

When the camp was entirely set up, Dutch made his way over to your tent.

"Y/n?" he asked, watching you grab a coat out of your trunk.

"Dutch."

"Listen, I know things have been really rough in the gang, but...we still need contributions. You still bounty hunt, correct?"

Something about his tone made you uneasy; it was more interrogative than curious.

"Sure," you nodded, standing up with the coat.

"Well Annesburg has some work, and I'd like you to get on it tomorrow. You need to earn your place here...Arthur can only account for so much."

"Of course," you smiled calmly. You held your tongue and waited until he smiled back to stop.

"Glad we're on the same page," he nodded. "Now go drink, relax with the others tonight," he chuckled, placing his hand on your shoulder.

You excused yourself and the sour expression you'd been hiding became ever-apparent as you faced away from him.

You joined Arthur's side at the campfire, draping the coat comfortably around you.

"Warm now?" he smiled.

"Yeah..." you stared ahead.

He kissed you just above your ear before just barely whispering, "You alright?"

"Later," you responded quietly.

He gave you a worried look, his eyebrows creasing like they always did when he thought something was wrong.

You grabbed his hand and scooted a little closer to reassure him that everything was fine.

"Come onnn...I wanna hear a songgg..." Karen said drunkenly.

Javier chuckled and grabbed his guitar again, starting up another song.

"O Mollie, O Mollie, it's for your sake alone..."

"That I leave my old parents, my house and my home..."

You even convinced Arthur to sing a little bit. He didn't know all the words, but he had the right spirit and his gruff voice added a raw edge to the already lovely song.

He began to cough harshly and stopped singing, blaming it on the gin he was drinking.

When the song was over, Javier started on a new one that only a few people knew.

Lulled by their voices, you drifted in and out against Arthur's shoulder.

"Y/n, hey," said Arthur, gently rubbing your arm, "it's gettin' late."

"Mhm," you sighed, opening your eyes.

"I wanna stay with you again tonight," you whispered.

"Okay," he chuckled.

You both walked to your tent and Arthur moved your cot into his own tent, creating one big bed.

He undressed himself and you followed suit before laying down next to him.

You held onto him tightly, burying your face into his chest.

"Talk to me," he said quietly, stroking your hair.

"It's these Murfrees," you sighed into him, nuzzling your head further.