(7.) Four Sheep and One Goat

When you woke up again, the sun had just risen.

"Morning, y/n," said Hosea, handing you a cup of coffee. You thanked him with a bright smile and he sat down with you by the campfire.

"I think a few of the men are going into Valentine today," he said, sipping from his cup. "They might need you to keep them in check, if you'd like to go."

You chuckled and ate a few crackers out of a small tin you had. "I don't think Arthur will like the idea of me being his babysitter."

"I'd like to say Arthur doesn't need one, but...well," he said, holding back his laughter.

"Ahh, talkin' bad about me again old man?" asked Arthur, coming from behind him.

"Never, Arthur," Hosea replied, sipping from his cup again. "Just saying how y/n could go into town with you and the others, you know, as security."

"You know, that ain't too bad of an idea. Y/n here said she was eager to work."

"I'm sure," said Hosea, winking at you. "And we could use it. I think Dutch is leaving around noon."

"Alright," you said, getting up. "Any chores you need getting done before then?"

"You can ask the ladies," said Arthur, motioning to Tilly and Mary-Beth, who were awake. Karen seemed to still be asleep.

"They just sew and clean, and if I wanted to do that, I would've married myself off to some business man and stayed at home all day!" you smiled. "You're outlaws, for God's sake! There's gotta be somethin' a little more fun to do."

Arthur rubbed his beard, smirking. "Why don't you go chop the firewood, huh? We're gettin low," he said sarcastically.

"Sure," you said, huffing quietly and heading off to the small stump where the firewood was chopped.

"She's quite the charmer," said Hosea.

"You could say that," Arthur chuckled.

"I think she could be good for you," Hosea continued. "I know that Mary saw you recently, but...well, you know how I always felt about her."

"I ain't lookin' for nothin' like that," said Arthur, shaking his head. "Mary ain't lookin' for it either, and I just met y/n. I hardly know her."

"Oh, spare me," chuckled Hosea. "She's grown on you, I can tell. And you ain't gonna find another woman like her."

"Hosea—" Arthur shook his head. "I'm just tryin' to survive right now."

"Well you're only still here because of y/n. I think it's a sign, Arthur."

"Now you're just talkin' crazy," Arthur chuckled. "I'm goin' to find Dutch."

"Alright, Arthur," said Hosea, putting his hands up in defeat. "But don't be surprised when I say I told you so at the wedding."

Arthur shook his head and lit a cigarette. Dutch's tent was only short walk away from where he was.

He passed you on the way, your thin yet muscled arms waiting in midair until they smashed the axe into the thick wood. Impressive, sure. But he just didn't see you in a romantic way.

"Arthur," said Dutch, greeting him. "You're here, good. We're going into Valentine in a little bit with Strauss and John. He says he's got some cattle he's trying to steal."

Arthur nodded, taking a quick drag and stomping out the rest of his cigarette. "Hosea thinks y/n should come too."

Dutch nodded slowly. "Sure, if she's feelin' up to it."