[BioShock] Robert Lutece x F!Reader

Hanahaki Disease

Summary: [Y/N] confesses her love to Robert, who unfortunately turns down her confession. In the days following the rejection, she contracts a rare disease known as Hanahaki disease.

Third-Person POV
"Robert, I love you," she spoke with her hands clasped to her chest. She was nervous but she knew she had to make her feelings known to him.

"Although I am flattered Miss [Y/N], I'm afraid I do not share the sentiment," he answered.

In just a matter of seconds, her heart had shattered into a million pieces. Had all the moments they shared together meant nothing to him? Working late nights in the lab, solving equations on the dusty old chalkboard, drinking tea by a warm fire; did the kind looks and gentle touches really mean nothing? Was it truly all in her head?

"Right, I'm sorry that was unprofessional of me. I hope this doesn't change anything."

"Worry not, we shall dwell on the subject no longer."

"Good. Listen, I think I'll take my leave a little early today. I forgot I still need to drop something off at the post office before they close."

"Very well, shall we continue our research tomorrow at noon?"

"Y-yes," she hiccuped. "I'll be here." [Y/N] gathered her things and left as swiftly as possible.

"Brother, why'd you lie to the poor dear like that?"

"Lie? What ever do you mean?"

"Don't play coy. I didn't become a physicist with acute observational skills. I've seen the way you look at her like a lovesick puppy."

"If we are to fix this horrible mistake we've made, I mustn't have any attachments to this timeline," he sighs. "The thought of what Comstock would do to her if he found out about her involvement makes me ill as well."

"I see you've thought this through. I won't linger on the subject any longer, but I do believe she was well aware of the risks all along, dear brother." Rosalind takes her leave and ascends the staircase.

Robert places his head in his hands and gazes down at the wooden floorboards, a dejected look in his eyes. "Perhaps you're right, but what's done is done."

-

[Y/N] wakes up the following morning with an early start. It wasn't too usual for her to start her day so early, but today was certainly different from any other day. She stretches before an onset of coughs leaves her throat.

'Could I be coming down with something?' She thought. The autumn season was upon them, perhaps it was just the usual seasonal allergies that plagued her?

Robert loved to tease her over her little sniffles and sneezes that occurred at the start of every season. [Y/N] smiles at the thought but it disappears just as quickly as it came to be.

'Robert, that's right... he rejected me. How will I ever face him again?' Regardless, [Y/N] decides to swallow her pride and get ready for the day.

-

Knock! Knock!

"Oh, that must be [Y/N], punctual as usual," says Rosalind as she closes the book on her lap and makes her way to the door. She opens the door to the stuffy-nosed girl.

"Good morning, Rosalind," she smiles.

"Good morning, dear. Feeling under the weather?"

"I'm fine. Just a bit of seasonal allergies is all."

"Robert, our little assistant has arrived!" Rosalind shouts to gain her brother's attention.

"Oh good! We're on the cusp of making our hypothesis into a reality," says Robert. He enters the living room with a cup of tea in hand. "Let's check our equations. We can't afford to have anything go amiss."

-

Hours had passed and with it the sky had darkened too. The trio, all looking very drained from the day's activities, decide to call it a night.

"Alright, I suppose I'll see you all same time tomorrow." [Y/N] rises from her seat on the couch. Just as she's making her way to the door, she erupts into a coughing fit. Robert gives a worried glance in her direction as Rosalind places a comforting hand on the poor girl's shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just hay fever is all. I'll see you two tomorrow!" [Y/N] rushes out the door and into the evening air.

"That was odd-" Rosalind's thought comes to an abrupt stop as she notices something on the living room carpet. She picks it up and inspects it curiously.

"Rosalind? What is it?"

"Check the bin in the washroom."

"Excuse me?"

"Just do it."

With a huff, Robert begrudgingly goes to the washroom and sifts around in the bin. To his surprise he finds an orange chrysanthemum. His favorite flower. His eyes widen in astonishment. Robert turns to find Rosalind standing in the doorway.

"Just as I suspected. That poor girl is suffering, Robert. You know what you must do, right?"

"I caused this. My selfishness caused this."

"Yes, but it's not too late. Now go fix this before you drag me into another one of your schemes," tuts Rosalind.

Robert, still caressing the orange flower, places a chaste kiss on his sister's cheek and she smiles in return. "Thank you, Rosalind."

Quickly, he makes haste towards the front door and out into the chilly October night. His feet make great strides until he finally arrives at [Y/N]'s abode. Robert raises his shaky hand and raps on the door.

Cough! Cough!

[Y/N] swallows thickly before opening the door to her late night visitor. "He- Robert? What're you doing here? Come in, come in!" She ushers him inside.

"Thank you for inviting me in your home. Listen, Miss [Y/N], about the other day-"

"Do we have to talk about that? I thought it was all behind us," she sighs.

"I love you, [Y/N]. I'm deeply sorry for making you suffer like this. I was just trying to protect you from-"

She interrupts, "Is this about Comstock? I'm not afraid of him and I can take care of myself. I'm not a little girl, Robert."

"I understand. It was never my intention to insult your capabilities," Robert frowns.

"I know, Robert. You're too kind for you're own good. Going above and beyond to fix the mistake you made, it's noble... and it's part of why I fell in love with you in the first place," [Y/N] looks longingly into his eyes and smiles.

Robert returns her smile with one of his own. He gently grabs one of her hands and places the orange chrysanthemum onto her exposed palm. The couple finally closes the gap between them and seals their new found love with a kiss.

A/N: A longer chapter for one of my fictional loves. I've always wanted to write a Hanahaki oneshot as I just find the idea of it really interesting. Chrysanthemums symbolize devoted love, loyalty, happiness, longevity, and joy.