eighteen

THE air between the two lads was dreadfully heavy as they sipped their drinks in silence, both not knowing what to say

taking full advantage of the fact that seola had to make a trip down to the school to submit an additional assignment, yunho decided to meet up with seonghwa for a bit.

just the two of them.

"i'll get straight to the point," yunho began, placing his drink on the table, catching seonghwa's attention. "wouldn't you want to spend your last breath with her?"

seonghwa was frozen stiff at yunho's words, his heart sinking deep down to the pits of his stomach.

"why not go on a short trip with her?" yunho suggested, hoping that the lad would agree. though shaking his head in an instant, a soft no escaped seonghwa's lips before he proceeded to take a sip out of his drink again.

"seonghwa, please."

"i can't do this to you," seonghwa rebutted, knowing that he might not be able to control himself around her when the time comes.

"NO, you don't do this to me, hwa!" for the first time ever, yunho had raised his voice, his eyes shimmering with tears.

"yunho, calm down." seonghwa breathed, tearing his eyes away from the lad. he couldn't bear to see yunho in this distraught state.

"the fact that i'm keeping her away from you is already eating me inside out, yet you don't show a single ounce of hatred for me."

"yunho, why would i⎯"

"her eyes, the way she looks at you . . . it's so different." yunho sighed in defeat, slumping in his seat.

"seola loves you, seonghwa," seonghwa fell silent at his words, the words in his mind all jumbled up inside.

"only you."

he didn't know what to say. it wasn't that he was unaware of seola's feelings for him. he knew it right from the very beginning, but all he could do was run.

to run away from his feelings, to escape the harsh truth of reality that only seemed more like a sick joke to him now.

"we're not meant for each other. we never were," seonghwa muttered under his breath while blinking his eyes rapidly to force his stinging tears back in.

yunho, on the other hand, felt his heart ripping apart, both from the guilt but also from the fact that seonghwa's time was nearing.

seonghwa, who he counted as his best friend, his closest friend even, would be leaving soon, and he was simply at such a loss.

he wanted to make things right for both seonghwa and seola before his very last breath, even if it meant sacrificing his happiness for them.

after all, nothing would ever be comparable to all that seonghwa has done for him.

"at this point in time, nothing could mean more to me than your happiness. i don't wish to live with regrets for the rest of my life, and neither do i want the same for you." yunho spoke, ever so softly.

"you passed out a few days back. what if something worse happens? none of us would be able to take it. not me, and definitely not seola."

"are you sure you're not going to regret this?" seonghwa asked, looking up to meet yunho's eyes that he knew were filled with a mixture of emotions.

"i won't, so please⎯" yunho paused, his eyes now only filled with nothing but desperation. "please just spend your last breath with seola."