twenty two

NIGHT fell upon the two as silence welcomed them, the sound of the subtle waves hitting the shore rhythmically cutting through the air being the only exception

their two-day trip seemed to sweep by in a snap of a finger, for it was already their final night before leaving. all before seonghwa's goodbye, only to seola this time.

this was really it.

the end of their very own chapter, their journey together as one, their love for each other, as well as them, han seola and park seonghwa.

with the memory of their heated night still fresh in her mind, seola was somewhat quieter than usual the entire day.

however, it went unnoticed by seonghwa this time, who had been fighting yet another battle with himself all day long.

a part of him hated himself for being the one who popped her cherry, that he ended up being her first in everything, for he knew he couldn't be the last.

he should have never started anything in the first place, especially letting his mind take over his body. he wished to leave with no regrets, but as positive as he hoped to be, he knew nothing would ever ease the unbearable pain he felt.

so long as there was no him for her, there was no other way to possibly fill the void of its subsequent consequence.

feeling his chest tightening, did he let out a groan, that being the first sound that left any of their lips in hours of staring into the vast sea.

he was doing a great job at hiding his discomfort throughout the day, the pain being a constant reminder of his life ticking away, though it seemingly got unbearable by the hour.

"hwa, you okay?" seola breathed, with worry so distressingly evident on her face that you could tell her heart was slowly breaking up into pieces, bit by bit. 

seonghwa waved her off, trying his best to hide the excruciating pain that only got worse as his nails dug into the sand. well, he was doing the worst job at it. 

"i'm just a little tired, that's all." his voice had significantly weakened, any softer, and it would pass off as a whisper. 

the lass bit down on her bottom lip, restraining herself from talking any further, for she knew it would only come out as a cry.

seonghwa, on the other hand, started to feel slightly lightheaded as tears subsequently stung his eyes. it was screaming to him that his time was indeed up, that there was absolutely no room left for denial.

he knew he had to say goodbye before it was too late, but he didn't have the heart to do so. he couldn't bear to witness her face painted in sorrow.

"princess," seonghwa breathed, his trembling hand finding its way to hers before interlocking their fingers.

seola briefly glanced at their connected hands before her eyes landed on him, scanning his ethereal face that was now as pale as a sheet.

"please just think of everything as a passing nightmare."

with that, he crashed into her lips, allowing the tears he had painstakingly tried holding in, to finally fall as his hands gently caressed her rosy cheeks.

"hwa," pushing him off, seola's eyes mimicked his with her cheeks now soaked with tears. tears that belonged to them both.

seonghwa shook his head, dismissing what she was about to say next which only caused a sob to escape the lass's lips. 

he didn't want to hear anything coming from her, absolutely nothing at all.

"take good care of yourself and stick with yunho, alright? he loves you so much, more than anyone i possibly know."

no, you don't.

seola thought, the broken expression on her face enough for seonghwa to know that he had failed in hiding his secret from her. she most definitely knew of his illness, that this trip only meant an eternal farewell between them.

"i will always love only you⎯" he paused midway when the sharp pain in his chest dissipated all at once.

it only meant one thing.

"⎯my princess,"

goodbye.

seola remained frozen stiff as the lad collapsed in her arms, feeling a heavy weight resting on her shoulder. one that belonged to the boy whom she had loved for eternity, the one who she loved and will continue loving till the very end of time.

"i love you too, hwa . . ." mumbling in between her sobs, beads of tears continued streaming down her cheeks like a broken tap.

grief was evident in her sorrowful cries, for she had regretted not telling him the three words he had been yearning to hear for years. she couldn't believe that her angel had really left her side, he was gone.

her hwa was gone.

"i love you so much, you stupid fool." crying as though there was no tomorrow, she remained stagnant in that position with an avalanche of tears escaping her eyes.

though, she was quick to compose herself a few moments later when she lifted her head whilst her lifeless eyes glistened under the moonlight.

staring at the night sky littered with such shimmering stars, she remembered just how much he loved them. she was almost certain that he was one of the stars that shined so bright, that now lit her darkness as he stared right back down at her.

i won't take too long, my love. i promise.

shutting her eyes in the process, her hands gently wrapped around seonghwa, hugging him tightly before she placed a soft kiss on his temple.

a smile, this time, a genuine one, gradually crept onto her face, for she knew that they would eventually find their way back to each other.

in a place where nothing more can ever do them apart.

— 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒅