Chapter 20

April 28th, 2008

Janet and Gil were looking through Janet's schedule for the next 6 months while Tupac watched. "Tour starts in September and we still need two more dancers."

"I'm still looking Gil but I'll have them as soon as possible."

"Okay and reminder for next week, you and Pac have a photoshoot with the girls with Vibe and an interview as well."

"I thought it was in June."

"They wanted to hurry up and get it over with." Janet sighed as she continued to look through her schedule. Just then, Afeni came in with Shania who was dressed in a small white church dress, and white low heel dress shoes. She had two curled ponytail that had small barrettes on the end of them and she was holding a cute white purse. Tupac couldn't help but giggle at how cute she looked. "Well look at you. Did you enjoy church with Grandma?"

"Yes! I got to sing again today!"

"I'm glad you did." Janet was barely paying attention. She was so into her schedule, she wasn't even looking at her daughter. "Mommy? I got to sing today.."

"That's wonderful honey." Janet smiled at Shania and continued to look through her schedule. "Go ahead baby, tell them what you wanted to do." Shania nodded softly. "Mommy, daddy, Auntie Gil? C-can I sing for you?" Janet looked at Shania and saw how nervous she was. Janet instantly stopped everything around her and saw herself. A shy, nervous, but sweet little girl. Janet had been in the business since she was Shania's age so she knows exactly how Shania feels. "Of course honey, we'll listen." Tupac looked over at Janet who was as quiet as a mouse. "I need my camera for this, hold on." Janet quickly grabbed the camera and handed it Tupac. He smiled softly and began to record Shania as the instrumental for ribbon in the sky played in the background softly.

"Oh so long for this night I prayed, that a star would guide you my way, to share with me this special day, where are ribbons in the sky for our love." There it was, Janet was watching her 5 year old daughter do the same thing she was doing as a child. Her heart melted at how soft yet strong her voice was.

"If allowed may I touch your hand, and if pleased may I once again, so that you too will understand, there's a ribbon in the sky for our love." Janet could do nothing but smile. She made a perfect child in her eyes, and so she thought on, maybe another one wouldn't hurt..

April 28th, 2020

Janet softly sighed and turned off the recording of Shania singing. "Watching little Shania sing again?"

"Yeah. I wish she'd do it again. Her voice is gorgeous."

"She performed for her school talent show last year, she sounded amazing."

"Yeah but she was nervous."

"She has anxiety, she's always nervous." Janet giggled and turned the recording back on. Shania came downstairs with another lace on. "You changed your hair again?"

"Yes..tho i really don't know how I feel about it."

"Girl it looks good. You do your makeup?"

"Mhm! I had hard time tryna find my eyeliner though." Jant smiled as she continued to watch the recording. "Eww, do we have to watch younger me singing? I sound like a deformed chipmunk."

"Oh stop it! You sound good, you've always sounded beautiful."

"I sound okay mom." Janet rolled her eyes playfully. "All you need is more confidence. I mean you kinda broke the narrative that everybody in the family is whispering because your voice is extremely strong yet it's soft." Shania shrugged her shoulders.

"I guess you could say that."

"If you want to, I mean you don't have to, but you could sing again for this year's talent show.."

"I was planning on doing that."

"Do you have an idea of what song you may sing?"

"Not telling you that!" Shania grabbed a bag of chips and water before going back upstairs. "I'mma find out sooner or later!"

"I doubt it!" Tupac came back into the kitchen with a bunch of paperwork. "Do you know what song she's gonna sing?"

"Now what makes you think she'd tell me?"

"Hmph...EISSA!" Eissa came running downstairs. "Yes mommy?"

"Do you know what song Shania's gonna sing at the talent show?"

"What's in it for me?" Janet pulled out a whole chocolate bar and handed it to Eissa. "Now can you tell me?"

"I wouldn't know, she didn't tell me. Thanks for the chocolate though. I got a whole bar of chocolate buddy!" Eissa ran upstairs before Janet could catch him. "..I just got swindled out of chocolate!"

"That's exactly what your ass gets too. Now c'mon, we got shit we gotta do, like prepare for a court date next week."

May 4th, 2020

"Ms. Shakur? How would you explain your relationship with your husband, Mr Shakur?"

"Well I'll say it like this, me and my husband have been best friends since 1992. He's been there for most of my career, not only as my friend but as a lover. He gave me my first child by birth for crying out loud. Our relationship is the world to me, he gives me strength and peace. I love my husband and I'll always love my husband."

"Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first person ever that you've taken their last name, why is that?"

"I feel more confident in this marriage."

"No further questions your honor." Janet stepped down and went back to her seat. "What does me and Pac's relationship have to do with this?"

"They're trying to use anything against you. Trying to find a motive that you might've killed Suge for Pac." Shawnette sat on the stand and stared at Janet. Janet looked away immediately and looked at Pac. "Ms. Heard? Can you please explain the type of relationship you have with Mrs. Shakur?"