Chapter 26

May 20th, 2020

"Girl it's fuckin May! You think I give a fuck about a suspension?" Deija was about to go fight somebody again and Shania was already there to stop her. "Boo you can't let these people get to you."

"Well they already have.." Shania pulled Deija into the bathroom and Deija began to fight her off. "Let me go Shania!"

"No! Stop trying to fight me Deij!" Deija continued to fight Shania and broke down into tears. The fighting got so bad, she ended up scratching Shania's arm. "Ahh!" Deija immediately stopped when she heard Shania scream in pain and hold her arm. Deija slid down the wall and cried hard making Shania focus back on Deija and not her arm.

"I can't do this shit anymore!" Shania held a broken Deija in her arms. "Deija it's gonna be alright-"

"No it's not!...Oh god no it's not." Deija took off her jacket she was wearing and Shania gasped. "Deija what the fuck?! When did you start cutting yourself??"

"I've been cutting for a long time, you just never knew." Shania looked at Deija and could tell how drained she was, but what caught her eye almost made her sick to her stomach. Shania saw a small clear bag in Deija's jacket pocket. She grabbed it and saw pills in it. "Who the fuck gave you this shit?!"

"The same fuckin dealer that everyone goes to! That's fuckin who." Deija tried to reach for her bag but Shania threw the bag on the ground. "Why? What led you to even do this shit?"

"You don't know my life, you just live in it, and as your best friend, I ask you to stay out of it." Deija picked up the pills but Shania snatched them out her hand and threw them in the toilet. "Shania no!" Shania flushed the toilet and turned back around to face Deija. "As your best friend, I have every fuckin right to know what the fuck is going on!"

"Why do you have to know about it?"

"Because I fuckin lived it Deija! I ALMOST DIED!" The whole bathroom went silent. "Wh-...what are you talking about?" Shania sighed. "I self harmed a lot in middle school and the beginning of high school..I hid it so well that no one could tell I was depressed. Whenever I was around you, I was my happiest but school made me miserable and being at home while my mom was still married to her ex husband was worse. I found the dealer you got your stuff from and he warned me about the trouble he could get into for dealing drugs to a minor so I kept my mouth shut. I was mostly high or found my way to alcohol to keep myself from going crazy but it seemed like that wasn't enough. One day I just lost it and ran some bathwater, got in, cut myself and just submerged myself into a tub of water until I woke up in a hospital with my mother crying in a chair, hoping her 16 year old child would live to see 17."

"Why didn't you tell me..?"

"Because I was ashamed..I was afraid no one would believe me of they'd think I was doing it for attention.." All Deija could do was hug Shania and cry in her shoulder.

"Deija please, please don't end up like me. You need help, you need to talk to somebody, you gotta get clean."

"And tell my momma? She'd never understand.. Nobody understands. Demario wouldn't even know what to do and plus my mom don't believe in that depression shit, she doesn't even know I'm bisexual. She'd probably kill me if she even knew about any of this."

"Okay well um..how about this? School's almost over, you know you're welcome to my house, you can talk to my mom about it. She'll let you stay with us for a while and when you get better you can go home, how does that sound?" Deija smiled. "I'd love that."

"Good, now will you please put ya jacket back on and forget about ole girl? We'll beat her ass another time."

June 2nd, 2020