Chapter 11- The Taxi Man

Olivia's POV:

Y/n was very quiet for a long time after the Quagmires were kidnapped and the Baudelaires left. It had been especially hard on her, since they were quite literally her only friends. But it was hard on me too. They were the only decent children at the school, and I loved them as my own. So naturally I worried about them.

Y/n and I decided to read the mysterious book that caused so much trouble, it's fancy script on the title reading The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations. The book was very well-loved, with bookmarks everywhere and notes on the columns. The notes proved to be very helpful in our research, and Y/n wrote down everything important in her f/c commonplace book, a habit she picked up from the Quagmire triplets.

After a few days of biting our nails off with anxiety about the secrets we had learned and about the well-being of our young friends, I finally decided that I should go into the city to make sure the Baudelaires were safe and to see if there was any news on the Quagmires. Y/n quickly agreed with my plan since she absolutely despised Prufrock Prep, (as did I), and was eager to leave.

We primly marched down to Nero's office to tell him we quit. I may have thrown a few insults at him in the process, but he was so dim witted that he didn't even notice. He agreed to let us go, muttering something about "more money for him" as we left his office.

"I suppose now we're off to see another dim witted person," I said to Y/n with a sigh as we climbed onto the rickety trolley that would take us to the city.

"Maybe he won't be so bad," she said, attempting to be optimistic.

I smiled and patted her head. "Maybe," I replied.

We made it to the city, with nothing more than The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations and an important mission. First stop, Mulctuary Money Management to see Mr. Poe. As we waited for him to be available, Y/n picked up a copy of the day's newspaper and started to read it. Her expression became more and more disgusted as she continued to read.

"Listen to this," she finally said, and read a paragraph out loud. "'The Baudelaire orphans are this season's fashionable accessories for the city's sixth most important financial advisor, Esmé Gigi Geniveve Squalor, center, who is organizing the In Auction with Gunther, far left, and her husband Jerome, not pictured.' This is awful! The Baudelaires are children, not fashion accessories!"

I sighed and shook my head, examining the picture of the Baudelaires and their new guardian. "Well, at least they seem relatively unharmed," I said.

"But they don't look happy," Y/n muttered softly, brushing her fingers against the part of the picture with Klaus in it. I smiled and patted her hand, deciding to give her a moment of peace and tease her later.

"Mr. Poe is able to see you now," Poe's secretary told us. We gathered up the newspaper and our book, then headed into Mr. Poe's office.

"How can I help you?" Mr. Poe asked as we sat down in front of him on cold metal chairs.

Y/n took out the newspaper and read the article about the Baudelaires out loud again, then handed the paper to Mr. Poe. "Mrs. Squalor doesn't seem to care about them at all. It says here that they are fashion accessories."

"Well this is awful!" Mr. Poe exclaimed, his eyes scanning the rest of the page. "They said they would mention me in the article, but I don't see my name anywhere." Poe clicked his tongue and set the paper down on his desk. "People these days," he said with a shake of his head.

"Do you know how many orphans from Prufrock Preparatory School have ended up in the care of dreadful people?" I asked.

"Surely you're not afraid of foreigners," Mr. Poe said.