Chapter 8- The Plan

Violet's POV:

It had been a few weeks since Olaf showed up at Prufrock, and he still had us running laps. We'd seen his assistants around, but all they did was sneer at us and move on. At first, it seemed like Olaf's whole plan was for us to just run. I couldn't think of any way that us running all night was helping him, but it didn't look like the end of S.O.R.E. was coming anytime soon.

Like I said, the exercise program didn't seem to help Olaf, and it definitely didn't help our grades. Klaus and I kept falling asleep in class and failing tests. Sunny's quality of work as an administrative assistant had gone downhill as well.

And then we figured out Olaf's plan. Nero gave us a comprehensive exam to do first thing in the morning. If we failed, Coach Genghis got to homeschool us. A.k.a., steal our fortune then kill us all.

"What can we do to help you guys?" Y/n asked at our meeting in the library.

We were all silent for a moment, when Isadora spoke up. "We could dress up as the Baudelaires and run laps for them, so they could study for their exam!"

"That's not a bad idea," Duncan agreed.

I looked up into his dark eyes and smiled. "Thanks, but Olaf is very dangerous and we don't want any of you to get hurt."

"Well, Vi," Duncan started, twirling my hair on his finger and making the butterflies in my stomach go crazy, "we don't want you or your siblings to get hurt either. That's why we want to help."

"Yeah! You guys are amazing and some of the nicest people I've ever known. We will do anything we can to keep you safe. Don't worry about us," Y/n said.

Klaus sighed and wrapped his arm around her waist. She frowned and hit his hand, but let him hold her for a minute before pulling away.

"Help?" Sunny babbled, meaning, "If we let Y/n and the Quagmires help us, we would be out of Olaf's clutches, but then they would be in his clutches. What do we do?"

I translated what she meant since Duncan and Y/n were still getting used to the way she talked, and then we all sat in silence for another few moments, thinking.

"Well, if it gets you guys out of trouble," Y/n started slowly, "then I'm in."

Klaus smiled softly, his eyes shining and sparkling. His eyes only ever sparkled like that when he was with her. Y/n didn't seem to notice this, as she was avoiding meeting his gaze.

"I'm in too," Isadora said firmly.

"Same here," Duncan said in the same tone of voice as his sister.

Sunny smiled and hugged Isadora's arm. "Thank you!"

"Thanks guys, you're the best," I said, but I mostly directed my comment to Duncan.

"But if you feel unsafe at all, you can back out. We would completely understand," Klaus put in. Sunny nodded and babbled her agreement. I nodded too.

Duncan pulled me closer and kissed my cheek. "We would never leave you guys. I'd die for you if I had to."

I sighed and sat up, brushing some of his hair out of his face. "We'd die for you too, but let's hope that there's no dying going on tonight." Duncan laughed a little and nodded, then kissed my nose, making me giggle.

"Eww," Sunny said, covering her eyes with her tiny hands. Isadora laughed and hugged her.

"Sorry, Sunny," Duncan said. "But I love your sister."