Chapter 46

Bleiz

"Pretty sure the bar is closed," I say, pouring myself another shot at the bar I broke into. I'm pretty sure it's closed, because it mostly burned down last night. However. The alcohol is still good. The Delphi Tavern takes a lot of abuse, if historical news articles are to be believed.

"Oh, I'm sure it is," a man, young man I suppose, sits at a stool to my right, a girl to my left. The man is taller than I, and unnervingly fine of feature. He has short cut blond hair and eyes that look too innocent to be true. He has a mirthful half smile and a twitch to his cheeks like he's waiting to break into laughter. The girl is short, with glowing skin that looks as though it's been brushed with pure gold. Her long, nut brown hair is in a high pony tail on her head. Her features are sharp if not handsome, with milky chocolate eyes and full lips.

"Get out of my bar," I say, doing the shot.

"I don't think it's yours," the boy says, a smile cracking his face. He's wearing a stiff red polo shirt and impossibly smooth khakis.

"Last I checked I was here, and anything I like belongs to me," I inform him curtly.

"I'm Jason."

"Of course you are."

"I don't know why people say that," he says, laughing like he doesn't want an answer.

"You probably would if you weren't Jason," I say.

"Who are you?" Jason asks.

"Who I like?"

"Are you always like this?"

"Yes, quite, but you want me as I am or you wouldn't have followed me into an empty burned down bar," I say, setting up shots for them because they aren't leaving.

"I should be quite annoyed with you, you've broken my record, you know," Jason says.

"I wouldn't know. Because I don't do things, because if you ask anyone you'll find out I'm no one," I say, rolling the shot between my hands.

"I think you'd prefer that, but that's not always entertaining is it? How is El Lobo supposed to get any fame form his crimes if he remains a ghost?" Jason asks, doing a shot.

"A thief whose name is known has a short career my friend," I scoff.

"Ah, but glorious."

"And glory matters more than riches?"

"You don't look happy."

"This is what happy looks like."

We would have gone on I'm sure for hours, but the girl cries, with her hands over her ears.

"My gods, I forgot how exhausting your silver tongues were! You know, once my aunt cursed the lot of you and now I don't blame her! It's been three minutes and she claims she let you go on an hour," Maddy, the girl, says it all with her hands firmly clasped over her ears.

"She's fine---we're here to ask you to join us," Jason says, smiling. Past the edge of his crisp polo, I can just see the faint edges of a tattoo. ARGONAUT. Of fucking course.

"Since you can't beat me, join me?" I ask.

"Two's better than one, don't you think?"

"What makes you think I need you?"

"Did I say need?"

"Do I look like I need anything?"

"Yes, you're getting drunk in a burnt down bar, you do look like you need something."