Chapter 21

Lee

"Lee, Brielle, this is my dad, Gale," Angelica says while her dad continues to tickle her and make her laugh. He hasn't said a word, but he's grinning wickedly. I think I've met him once or twice. He's also Ev's dad. They look uncannily alike, not in feature. But in that same, devil may care grin, and easy, too fluid manner of movement.

"Dad, this is Brielle; she's probably your half sister," Angelica explains, frowning at me, "Which makes you--?"

"My grandad is his brother," I say. Speak of the devil.

"What's going on shorty?"

"Oh, this is never not painful," I mutter, as a huge gorilla arm encircles my neck. My mom's dad is the tallest, broadest, most frightening human being on the planet followed very closely by my mom and grandma. He likes me though, if anyone does. He picks me up to grind his knuckles into my head as a show of affection.

"Sorry I missed your call. I was in prison," he says, lightly, dropping me to get a hug from Angelica. Brielle is kind of hiding behind something, a valid reaction to seeing him, to be honest.

"It's okay, don't elaborate on that," I say. He's clearly crusted with someone else's blood.

"I killed someone last night—"

"And he elaborated."

"---on that note---what took you so long? I didn't mind the extended death but really, you're slacking off," my grandad says, knocking Gale over onto a set of cushions, while hugging Angelica and giving her a knife.

"Fu-f—fuck-fucking---fucking---lazy----lazy ass---Than," yeah when Gale does speak 80% of it is just to be sassy and profane.

"Oh right, blame the kid," my grandad says, relatively unconcerned, "Lee—how come you're here? Is your mom coming?"

"No she's working----I've decided to join the Hunt," I say, quickly.

"Oh good for you. Does your dad know?"

"Not yet, he's busy. I just thought I'd come---you always say I can stay with you anytime," I say, quickly, twisting my hands.

"Yeah of course, whatever," he says, shrugging, "How are you doing with the Chakram your mom gave you? Do you want to go outside and try to throw it at me?"

"No, not right now," I'm excellent with the round, saw like blade. I am my mother's son.

"Uncle Thyme this is Brielle; she's probably your sister," that's just how we introduce people around here, apparently. It's how Angelica does anyway. 

"Hi, nice to meet you. Would you like a knife?"

"Um---" Brielle frowns a little still slightly afraid of him.

"Here, you're currently kind a little, this is a Katar you can get a good grip on it to stab people. Very important. Here try to stab me," my grandad says, very nicely, handing her a short dagger with an H-shaped grip. Good for stabbing. I have three, one of which has four blades in a square. All of my knives are from him, except my chakram which my mom gave me.

"Kids it's time for----Thyme what are you doing here?" Luna asks, walking in.

"I can really have this?" Brielle looks at the fine weapon.

"Yes," Angelica and I say, tiredly.

"Yeah, of course, little girls need knives. I can find you a sword later---"

"Thyme. What. Are. You. Doing. Here," Luna knows how to get her brother's attention; she snaps her fingers with each new word.

"Me? I'm visiting my kid," he points at me, "And giving out knives. Anna took Alice to her debate team night she wanted to go. And they wouldn't let me because I'm under house arrest."

"Right. So why are you here?" Luna asks.

"This is a house," completely confused.

"Thyme, dude---the idea of house arrest is you stay in ONE particular house---not just within any house," Luna says.

"Oh. That was not made clear."

"Yeah, I'm really sure it was. Okay, come on, I'm gonna drive you back to dad's."

"Okay fine, Lee did you call your mom and tell her you're here?" he asks.

"No, she's still out of range," I lie, shrugging. I turned off my phone. I don't want my dad calling me. Or her telling me to go home to my dad.

"Okay, try her again all right?—are you sure you don't need another knife--?"

"Bye, kids get ready for bed, I'll be back," Luna just twists her brother's arm to make him come.

"Be careful that's gonna be super sharp—I'll show you how to use it tomorrow," Angelica tells Brielle.

"Yeah, they're pretty cool," I say, glancing at the blade. "Easy enough to conceal and easy to stab. You'll want a long range weapon though."

"Yeah, that's why we're practicing with swords and bows again tomorrow," Angelica says, cheerfully.

Gale holds up a bag of marshmallows he got I don't know where. He's always eating.

"Uncle Gale---do you know who my grandad killed?" I ask.

He shrugs.

"It was one of our cousins," Angelica says, "My moms think there's going to be trouble."

"When isn't there trouble?" I mutter.