Chapter 92

Lee

"He's a friend, he's a friend," I tell everyone, as Aster bowls me over for another hug in lieu of helping fight the monsters.

"You sure about that?" Hugh asks, spitting out blood as he holds a sword in one hand and a spear in the other.

"Yes---Aster, go help the fight closer to Time's Square—I'm fine," I say, giving him one more hug.

No sooner does he leave than another chimera nearly bowls me over, only to be knocked well away from me by a car flying through the air.

"Need a hand?" Penny strolls up, wincing at the noises of the battle.

"Definitely---they're nearly through at the eighty and ninth barriers---Lee, take Adrian go towards tenth," Morgan says, "I've got this."

"Did you send Aster in?" my aunt Dara is suddenly there, armor glowing silver and hovering in the air, wind whipping her dark hair.

"Yes," I say, nodding, blood dripping from my nose.

"What do you people have against New York?" Ev mutters, joining us and wiping blood from their face.

"Penny, help your dad with the barricades on eighth, go," Dara says. Penny nods, taking off running.

"Where do you want me?" Ev asks, "Styx, remember?"

"Can you make it to the center of Time's Square?" Dara asks, "We need to subdue Zag and—,"

"He can't kill me," Ev says, nodding, then they take off running.

"Lee, take Adrian ahead, we need to back them up and forty fourth," she says, then she vanishes again.

"Come on, that's this way," I say, starting to run.

I don't expect to run directly into my dad's arms. No sooner do I see him than he's scooping me up faster than I thought possible. No, seriously. He usually falls over when he tries to  move that quickly.

"What the hell?" he asks, squeezing me tightly, tears in his voice. Blood is running from his blue glass dagger.

"I'm so sorry," I sob, my voice cracking, "I'm sorry I shouted at Pheobe I was just afraid you'd be mad at me."

"I am mad at you! What are you talking about? She's dead," he says, holding me back to inspect me.

"What?" I ask.

"What?" he asks.

"He didn't kill or rape anyone—he ran away because she was trying to have sex with him. So your father sent sea monsters after him, they killed him, but the Physician raised him, now we are all being attacked and are about to die, come on," Adrian says, really quickly, while slicing the head off a chimera.

"What?" my dad and I say, in unison, again.

"I've been around a time or three—I know how this happens, I also know if we don't close the gate to the Underworld we're all dead, so we need to cooperate with the smart people doing that—smart person said go this way," he says, moving on.

"He's right---I'm not mad at you—are you all right?" my dad asks, urgently, checking me again.

"I'm fine---we'll talk later," I say, starting to run to keep up with Adrian, "For now he's right. We need to stop this."

"Can you draw water from the sewers?" my dad asks, "If so I can—,"

"You can at least survive the blasts," I nod, "Adrian, get behind us, stop anything that comes through our shield."

"Go," he nods, backing behind us as water wells up from the sewers, bursting through the hydrants.