Chapter 62

Isa

How am I related to these people? They're so fucking stupid.

"If we go left that's west," Hugh says.

"No, we have to take the A train north—"

"Stop," I cover Sol's mouth. Needless to say we have no idea where we are going. In practice, a GPS dot on a map is nearly impossible to navigate to in the middle of New York city. "Do you know at anything at all about New York?"

"Yes, we take the A train north get off at one-81st and take the escalator—"

"Anything NOT from a musical?" I growl, about to cover his mouth again.

"It's quiet uptown?" very weakly, knowing he's about to have his mouth covered.

"You're useless—you're useless---that homeless person would be more useful than either of you."

"We know, but really?" Hugh says, shrugging innocently. I just got off of an airplane with these people. I had to convince the flight attendant I wasn't with them just to maintain my own sanity and personal pride.

"Fuck it, we need someone with an actual sense of direction to get us from wherever we are, to wherever the kids are. Useless as he is, we need Gale," I say.

"You're right, we should call him," Hugh says.

"Good idea GALE WE NEED YOUR HELP," Sol of course. I hit Sol with the homeless guy's cart.

"That was mean," Hugh goes to help the homeless guy pick it up because he wants to be kidnapped, I guess.

"With a phone, you moron," I say, to Sol, who is standing back up and brushing rainbow glitter out of his hair. He's the one who put it there I don't know why he's brushing it out like that.

Gale taps my shoulder. I jump. He's standing there, trench coat, wide brimmed hat pulled down over his ugly beady little eyes. He puts his hands on his hips then taps his wrist watch.

"Oh good, you're here," Sol hops up, "We need directions."

Gale raises his arms in a universal expression of 'why'?

"We're trying to find the kids," Hugh finishes helping his new homeless person friend and comes over, "Isa has a GPS coordinate but we're lost. They've never been to New York."

"I've been. I just wasn't sober."

"I've been. Brianna was driving," I hiss. That's Ev's mother.

"I've been. I just don't pretend to have learned from my prior experiences," Hugh says.

Gale glares at us all through narrowed eyes. He then raises his arms like he's about to do an interpretive dance of what we need to accomplish.

"No----a map. Please?" I snarl, not at all nicely. When his kid isn't sleeping with my kid and the reason my kid nearly dies on a yearly basis, I'll like him better.

Very sarcastically, Gale whips a map out of his messenger bag.

"Oh thank you!" Sol says, taking it.

On the map are excessively simplistic directions. There is a spot in red with 'kids' marked on it, and then an arrow. Another spot has 'three numbskulls' and an x. There's a surprisingly squiggly looping line between the two with labeled streets.

"How did you know?" Hugh asks, frowning.

Gale sticks his tongue out and then vanishes.

"Do we think this is going to get us where we're supposed to go or are we Tolkiening it through the highest number of murderous NPCs?" Hugh asks.

"He's not talking English now. Oh well. Who wants to tell Juno he lost his mind? I vote you," I say, examining the map. This can't be that hard to follow if that idiot Gale wrote it.

"He's talking English, it's fine, yeah, no Hugh, I'm sure he's sending us through mob territory or something. But it's the only map we have," Sol points out.

"Great," I sigh. That stupid kid. This is why I did not want a kid how dare I care about it this much and how dare it wander around with that horrible little scrap of a human that makes it so damn happy?