Chapter 90

Jason

"How are things, going, Jay?"

"Seriously---dad—,"

"Just going to hang out around the villa, huh?"

"You know what? I have no excuse—,"

"Yet here you are. In prison. In a third world country—,"

"America is not a third world country, dad."

"—in one of the most decrepit cities in the world—"

"New York is like, a wonder of the world, I think."

"---in prison," my dad, for the record, is in his usual state of looking like he got here by being dragged behind a train. He's completely black and blue on one side of his face, an eye almost swollen shut, lip split and old piercings reopen on it and bleeding, once good pastel yellow suit in tatters, looking disappointed in me.

"Who called him?" I glare at Bleiz and Maddy.

"I called my mommy, she made me promise always to call her from prison," Bleiz says, holding up his hands.

"I called my salon to reschedule since we're clearly gonna be a while," Maddy says, innocently.

"Nobody called me! I watched the fucking news and what do I see but three teenagers on a flying fucking car blasting 'Pompeii' are destroying some sort of cult's religious center, and gleefully throwing smoke bombs at people—,"

"Okay, they were Titans—,"

"Okay, don't fucking care, and what should go through my head but 'eh, that's probably my kid, I should check all the nearest prisons, and here you fucking are'," he growls.

"Well, I don't need you. I have bail," I say, pointing at Ev and Penny, who are standing behind him. "They can be responsible for us."

"They don't look responsible for themselves," my dad growls.

"Hey that's mean."

"Yeah, we're very responsible."

"Evander, your shirt is on fire," he says, flatly.

"Can someone get me out? Cause I'll just turn into something and leave but I felt bad leaving you, but not that bad—," Bleiz begins.

"We're going," I sigh.

"Yes, yes we are, on the flight back you write me a fifteen page essay on what goes on in your head so I know what specialist to consult," my dad says.

"You, are the person who looks like they got blown up and then run over by a train you realize that, right?" I ask.

"I do. And that is actually remarkably close yet slightly better than what actually happened to me, going on because I realize you don't care—we're going home, now," he says.

"Do you have the keys? Because you don't look trustworthy either?"

"Who raised you?" he asks, holding up a set of keys he clearly lifted from a guard.

"I hear shouting," Penny says, pointing.

"It's coming from outside, and sirens, we should go help," Ev says.

My dad swears archaically but lets us go as we bounce up and down.