XXV. The Secret of Horcrux

I heard a knock on my office and saw Harry walk through the door. I locked my gaze on him as he approached me.

"Professor, there's something on my mind that's bothering me." He said.

"What is it?"

"What is it that makes Voldemort immortal? I mean, his body has been destroyed the night that he killed my parents but he has returned just like that."

Perhaps now is the right moment to reveal it to him.

"Horcrux." I said.

"What Horcrux is, professor?"

"A Horcrux was an object in which a dark wizard or witch had hidden a fragment of his or her soul to become immortal. There was only one way to create Horcruxes; by committing murder. Voldemort, I believe, possesses six Horcruxes. The first Horcrux is Tom Riddle's diary, which you destroyed in the chamber of secrets. It was made by him when he was sixteen years old after he murdered Myrtle. The second is the ring that belonged to Marvolo Gaunt. It was an heirloom from the Gaunt family and he wore it throughout his time at Hogwarts. He turned it into a Horcrux by murdering his father."

"Dumbledore destroys it." He whispered and I nodded.

"Tom is born as a product of Amortentia and is raised in an orphanage. Just like us, Hogwarts was the first place he felt truly at home. He value the castle so highly that he determined that each of his Horcruxes should represent something from each of its founders. So the third Horcrux is the Salazar Slytherin locket. Hepzibah Smith, a wealthy witch, purchased the locket from Borgin and Burkes' shop and because he was interested in the locket, he murdered Hepzibah. I believe he hides it in the seaside cave. His theft of Hepzibah's locket is not the only thing he stole; he also stole Helga Hufflepuff's cup from her. He turns it into the fourth Horcrux, which was then hidden in the Lestrange family's vault because Bellatrix had been his most loyal follower up until now. The fifth Horcrux is the diadem worn by Rowena Ravenclaw. Helena, Rowena's daughter, steals it from her. Tom Riddle charm the ghost of Helena, and she provided him with information about where to find the diadem. He murdered a muggle who was born in Albania to turn it into his Horcrux. I believe he has hidden it somewhere in Hogwarts. Dumbledore discovered that Voldemort had murdered Betha Jorkins, which leads him to believe that Voldemort has turned Nagini into a Horcrux."

"How did you find this out?"

"We've been friends for long years."

"He trusted you." I nodded.

"More than that."

"But professor, he also killed my parents. Do you think he made the seventh Horcrux after that?" He asked.

"I don't know but I'll do my best to inform you if there is." I answered.

"One more thing, Harry. Don't destroy the Horcrux."

"Why?"

I took a few deep breaths and then continued. "Because every Horcrux contains a curse."

"A what?"

"Harry, whoever destroys the Horcrux will die. Except for the book, which is just a memory, and Nagini, who is only a creature. Do you remember what happened to my father?" He nodded.

"Don't tell anyone about the curse. Keep your mind closed at all times." I smile as I cup his face. He smiled and nodded.

"Go back to your class." I told him and he walked away.

I went to the headmaster's office to find some clue if there was a seventh Horcrux when I suddenly noticed a bottle on the cabinet of memories that caught my eye because it was labeled with "Horcrux." I poured half of it into the Pensieve and placed my face in it.

--Flashback--

I'm at Headmaster's Office and saw Snape and Dumbledore having a conversation.

"There will come a time when Harry Potter must be told something, but you must wait until Lord Voldemort is at his most vulnerable." Dumbledore said.

"Must be told what?" Severus asked.

"On the night Lord Voldemort went to Godric's Hollow to kill Harry, and Lily Potter cast herself between them, the curse rebounded. When that happened, a part of Voldemort's soul latched itself onto the only living thing that it could find: Harry himself. There is a reason Harry can speak with snakes. There is a reason he could look into Voldemort's mind. A part of Voldemort lives inside him."

"So, when the time comes, the boy must die?"

"Yes, yes, he must die. Voldemort himself must do it. That is essential."

--Flashback ends--

Harry is the last Horcrux.

I wrote a letter and called Aurora. "Give this to Harry. Keep yourself safe." I gave her the bottle along with a letter, and she took off.

This is Harry's fate and I have no choice but to tell him this. I sat while still in shock. Snape came and saw me.

"Harry is a Horcrux, why didn't tell me?"

"I'm just waiting for the right time."

"Does this seem like the right time?"

"I believe it is." He replied.