C H A P T E R T W O

– (un)known attacker –

__________

She turned around and looked out the window, but she couldn't see anyone.

Suddenly she heard another noise.
Clearly a shot this time.
She immediately ran into the kitchen and took her gun out of one of the bottom drawers.

Slowly she walked to the door.

With her back turned to the door and her right hand on the handle, she looked over her right shoulder to the window again, before she quickly opened the door and aimed into the dark.

Carefully she walked a bit further outside and looked around, but no one was to be seen.

"Maybe I was just imagining things," she thought and walked back into the house.

Just as she was about to turn around again after closing the door, she felt a heavy breath on her neck.
She didn't dare turn around.

Suddenly everything happened very fast: The unknown person reached for her weapon and knocked it out of her hand. Then he strangled her with his entire right arm. Pia wanted to tear herself free, but her left arm was held by his strong, cold fingers. One arm alone wasn't strong enough to free herself.

As she was slowly running out of air, an idea came to her mind. She kicked him between the legs, he was briefly distracted and she could quickly grab his left arm. She wanted to pull him to the ground, but when she touched something hard and cold she realized that his arm was metallic.

Didn't Steve say...

She couldn't think any further, for he used her confusion to grab her and press her on the ground. Then he pointed his gun at her.

She just stared into his eyes.

Ice blue met green.

Her looks must have been quite piercing, for he did nothing but stare back. She took the chance and threw his gun across the room.

Then she punched him in the face, rolled herself under him and ran into the kitchen as fast as she could to pick up the gun again. But he wouldn't let her.

He threw himself at her and the two flew across the kitchen island. They got up, but Pia grabbed a bottle and hit him on the head as hard as she could. Then she pushed him so he staggered and fell backwards. She ran to the first floor and quickly locked herself in her room. She got her cell phone and dialed Steve's number.

“Hey, Pia. Did I leave something at your house?"

“Come back here, please. I almost got killed. “

Steve laughed.

“It’s not a joke, Steve. I’m being attacked by someone and I think it’s–"

A fist slammed through her door and opened it. Pia just screamed.

“Pia?” was the only thing left to hear from her phone, when the attacker ran towards her, threw her phone against the wall and brought her to the ground.

Pia tried to fight back, but he was angry and that made him even stronger. But she didn’t give up and fumbled under him. He had a hard time keeping her under control but when he just slapped her in the face, she was quiet.

Then he pointed his gun at her. Her gaze was not pierced as before, but full of fear and tears. She saw him put his finger on the trigger, but suddenly there were sirens and blue lights outside. He turned his head to the window and then back to Pia.

Instead of pulling the trigger, he let go of her and jumped out of the closed window to the other side of the house.

Pia sat up and took a deep breath. She trembled and tears still ran down her face. Suddenly she heard Steve’s voice echoing through the hallway.