C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N

– are you gonna blame me forever? –

__________

Pia had Bruce examine her wound again in her room. "I think it should be completely healed in a week or two."

"Thank you, Bruce."

"You're welcome. But if that ever happens again, at least try to remove the bullet earlier. Driving through town first isn't the best idea."

"I hope that it never happens again but if it will, I'll try."

Bruce began to renew the bandage. Nobody said anything until he broke the silence. "So, what's going on between you and Bucky?"

Pia sighed. "Bruce, please. Don't you start with that, too. Nothing is going on. I don't even know what you're all seeing. We don't even talk to each other."

"But you were really good friends before he left you behind."

"Yeah, I know that."

"And when you didn't come home..."

"...he was worried the most? Yeah, I've heard that one before..."

Bruce was quiet for a moment. He seemed to be picking his words carefully. "Maybe you'll talk to him sometime?"

"I already did. He even admitted that he was worried but then he said that I shouldn't think we could be friends again just because of that. And well, if he says that, then, of course, I'll stand up for myself and say some crap like that. Although I didn't actually mean what I said."

"I'm sorry about that."

"Don't be. I also told him that I don't wanna be friends with him ever again, so I'm not completely innocent."

"Wait, I–I don't quite get it. Does that mean, you hate each other?"

"I don't know. I mean...I don't hate him. I miss our movie nights and pizza baking. But I don't know if he feels the same or if he hates me."

"Why don't you just try to find out and tell him all this?"

"So he can tell me that he doesn't care 'cause he doesn't want to have anything to do with me? No, thank you. I already know that but I don't want to hear him say it...again."

Now it was Pia's turn to be quiet. She didn't know if she should go on but she knew that Bruce was trustworthy so she decided to tell him the truth.

"Reality was always hard for me to bear. It was the same when my parents died: I knew it from the moment the policeman stood outside our door. He said nothing but that they were in a car accident and that he was sorry. I was shocked but I didn't cry. I did everything the way I did it before. Only when my best friend visited me a few weeks later and I heard 'Your parents are dead', for the first time, I woke up from that rigor and had to cry for days. You know what I'm saying? I know that Bucky doesn't want me to be his friend but if I hear him saying that, it's gonna fuck me up."

Bruce nodded. "I see...I hope you can sort this out soon. You've gotten...quiet and I don't like seeing you sad like that. Take care, okay?"

"I will."

She hugged him briefly and wanted to go to the kitchen when they heard a loud crash from the floor above them.

"What was that?"

"I don't know. I think I'll call Tony. Pia, you stay here."

Pia nodded and Bruce disappeared into an elevator. Another crash was heard. Someone shouted.