C H A P T E R S E V E N

– do you really want to ruin a friendship? –

__________

"So Buck, this is your room. Sometimes Peter sleeps here but he's usually at his house."

"Are you sure it's a good idea that I stay?"

"Hey, everybody's nice here. Even Tony gave you his okay. He doesn't do that to everyone. And it's pretty late already. I won't let you go now."

Desperately, Bucky tried to talk his way out of the situation so he could find somewhere else to stay.

He liked being with Steve and the others but he didn't think it would be a good idea to be near Pia.

If his client found out that Bucky was so close to her he would be forced to kill her and he really didn't want that. But if he didn't he'd become a target himself and have to flee.

He had only one option: He had to stop killing even if he then had no money to live on and needed to avoid Pia.

"Buck, everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was just...thinking. Thanks for everything. I'm glad to be here with you."

"So do I. But I have a question. You explained why you ran away from me and Nat but what was that with you and Pia? I mean you don't just lock yourself in and don't talk to anyone after meeting someone for the first time."

"I really have no idea. You'll have to ask her."

"All right, I'll go over and see her."

"Really? I don't know if you should. It's pretty late already."

He deliberately repeated Steve's words and grinned stupidly. Steve reached for a pillow and threw it in Bucky's face.

"Haha. Really funny. Go to sleep now. It's been a long day."

"Yeah, you're right, and besides... it's pretty late."

"I swear, next time I'll throw my shield."

Steve left Bucky laughing in the room and went upstairs to knock on Pia's door.

_____

Pia was asleep but she couldn't even find peace in her sleep. She dreamed of Bucky coming into her room at night and just watching her sleep before grabbing her by the neck and strangling her.

Pia woke up and gasped for air.

"Hey, you all right?"

Pia flinched. She knew exatcly who was standing beside her even though she couldn't see anything in the dark of the night.

"What are you doing here?"

"When I didn't find you in your room, I came here. I need to talk to you. What happened?"

He didn't have to specifically ask about Bucky for her to know what he meant.

"Would you like to talk about what happened earlier," he asked calmly.

"Not really."

"Okay, then let's go to sleep."

Steve grabbed the second chair, moved it as close to her as he could, and sat down. He hoped that she would be willing to tell him what was going on if he gave her the time she needed.

_____

Pia put her head on his chest. She wanted to calm down and sleep but she couldn't help crying.