Thirty Five

The stifling summer breeze trebled through the woods, her surroundings filled with the eerie rustling of trees, half a moon and the stench of death.

Blood. So much of it splattered the once brown trunk of the tree Sarina had been pinned against. By the mutant which now lay in a heap of disintegrating heap of black goo.

But what had the world fading away was the decapitated body that sat slumped against the tree. A head, with somewhat lively platinum curls, lying merely inches from her face, those wide, terrified cobalt eyes staring lifelessly into hers. They stared back at her with a plea of help, an accusation for the state she was in.

Kaenisa barely registered the dirt and soil underneath her, unable to tear her gaze away from the lifeless indigo-violet stare, once so full of cheery sparkle. Those once blabbing cherry lips now remained frozen in a silent scream, wan and grey.

There was no point in asking if her Atlantean blood would aid her because Kaenisa already knew it couldn't.

"Sarina." Rolan breathed. It would be easy to lose the trembling whisper in the breeze, which seemed to grow louder by the second.

As if mourning a soul's untimely death.

"Sarina!" He yelled as if expecting her head to roll back and attach itself with her body.

"No..." Zaira whimpered, falling to her knees before all hell broke loose.

It toppled the domino of darkness, wails of pain and agony beginning to surround her. But no matter how hard she tried, Kaenisa couldn't tear her gaze away from those indigo-violet eyes of her friend.

She could not bring herself to utter a word or move an inch.

The last thing they had done was fight, and now her friend was....dead.

Sarina was dead. Her headless body was proof.

Kaenisa couldn't process it. Couldn't....no. How could it be? How could she just...die? No. No, it was not right. It wasn't....

"Kaenisa," a voice called her, but she was already underwater.

She had done this. Kaenisa had been too slow. She had killed Sarina, not the mutant.

"Kaenisa," She slowly managed to turn her head, but the moment felt more than mechanical.

Zaic stood there, a confirming sadness in those lilac eyes. It hit her then. Like really hit her that this was not a dream. It was.....reality.

A sob escaped her lip, "No!"

"Baby...." Zaic cooed, face contorting into a pained expression.

"Please....no. Zaic! No! It's not true right? It's....not-" Kaenisa wailed, looking up into his somewhat helpless, mournful eyes as she clung to his leg.

Zaic crouched down beside her, wrapping his arms around her shuddering body.

She lost it then, every shred of sense and every bit of self-restraint, tears streaming down her cheeks and falling in big splotches on her clothes and the ground.

How could this have happened, how could....how could she have let this happen?

Sarina was....gone, and it was all her fault. What was the point in having these 'cool' powers that accompanied the glorious Atlantean blood in her veins when she couldn't save her friend? Kaenisa was a failure and a mistake.

It should have been her, who the wretched monster had decapitated not....not Sarina.

She clung to Zaic, gritting her teeth as Kaenisa wept, whimpering as her heart twisted inside, bleeding with an unimaginable agony that rained flooded her.