Thirty Nine

“What’s ready?” Zaira mused, her curious gaze assessing Sarina.

“Follow me!” The Platinum Blonde beckoned with aggressive arm gestures before rushing out of the room and towards whatever was ‘readyʼ.

After exchanging a couple of looks and mirroring shrugs with Zaic, Kaenisa stood up, followed by him, as well as the others. 

“This better be important, its disrespectful to leave the table in the middle of a meal.” Shefali grumbled as she walked. 

“To whom?” The Princess questioned, frowning in visible confusion.

“To the food.” Kaenisa replied.

“Damn right.” Rolan whispered, eyeing the dishes with a yearning that made her wonder if he would choose food over Sarina.

He probably would.

Sarina was leading them down the stairs and into the basement, which was rather dark presently.

She understood why, a moment later, when Blue Eyes turned on all the lights. Without warning. Causing them to shield their eyes in attempts to escape with their retinas unscorched.

Upon adjusting to the brightness, Kaenisa assessed the surroundings that she once called her basement with mounting horror. 

The place, in a word, was a mess. Tiny mechanical parts cluttered the huge metallic desk and the floor whereas, the holoScreen emitted a string of strange, beeping, whirring sounds. 

There were several other DigiPads with blueprints, chemical formulas and calculations Holo-projecting above them. To their left was a fairly large TeleStand which, to her initial surprise, teleported/transported an average of about seven small or five medium-sized items into and out of Atlantis at once. 

Unrolled on the metallic surface were several sheets of iridescent paper, and drawn on them were a few rough sketches. An unnatural amount of vials filled with what was definitely, blood were stashed away into test tubes stands. It creeped Kaenisa out, sure. But she had seen worse.

Besides, her attention had already been captured by what seemed like a small ring box if it weren’t for its hexagonal shape and silver-grey finish.

“What is that?” Zaira questioned, fingers reaching out to touch the curious looking thing. But before she could, Sarina let out a sharp yelp, “Don’t!” 

“What? Why?” Zaira asked, puzzled and positively startled like the rest of them. 

“That…..that’s cause…” She began, hesitating.

“Spit it out already. I’d really like to eat my food while its still hot.” Kaenisa urged.

“Yeah me too.” Rolan nodded. 

“It’s……a bomb.” Sarina revealed finally, shoulders sagging in defeat. 

“What was that again? I’m sure she couldn’t have said a bomb, right?” Shefali said after a moment. 

“It’s a bomb?” Zaira asked, clearly questioning how close to death had she exactly been.

“Yes its a bomb.”

“But is it though?” Rolan let out a nervous chuckle.

“It is. And one that is capable of eradicating everything within a half-mile radius.” Sarina said without an ounce of humour on her face.

“Okay and what exactly is it doing in my house?” Shefali asked, lips pursed.

“Well…..”