59. Draft Day

Thursday, April 29th

7:30 pm

Draft Day

I chewed on my fingernails and pulled my knees to my chest.

The food in my stomach was trying to come back up due to my nervousness and the draft hadn't even started yet.

It was being held in Cleveland Ohio this year at some stadium so Will didn't even have to travel far. Only about 2 hours or so.

He wanted me to come but I thought it would be best if he just went with his parents. It was their special day.

I hadn't seen him too much in the past few weeks. After that night he told me that he wanted us to be friends, I've given him more space.

I couldn't be around him too much. It was a painful reminder of what wasn't mine. And because he'd been busy with school and training, we didn't have time to miss each other.

At least he didn't. I still did.

On spring break he went home while Gen and I spent a week watching Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill reruns.

We only had a week left of school, finals, and then after that graduation. It was insane and scary how finals were actually upon us. Like this pendulum weighing above our heads ready to drop at any moment.

Ben had been accepted to a PHD school program for astrophysics at Cornell University. He would only be a few hours away from us but Casey was acting like he was moving across the globe.

They spent even more time together than usual, going on cute dates and it was adorably sickening.

Gen and Sean however had broken up last week. Sean was moving to Chicago after the summer for school and Gen called it quits. She said that she didn't want to hold him back and that they were at different stages in life. She was only going to be a sophomore in college next year but he was going to law school.

When she first told me about their relationship I had the same thoughts. But seeing them together for the past 7 months, I didn't think their age difference was a hindrance to their relationship.

Gen was also transferring out of OSU to Brooklyn College. We thought it made the most sense since we were moving to New York in a month. She didn't want to be too far all by herself.

I didn't want her to give up her position on the cheer team since she worked so hard to get it but she said it was for the best. She would be able to pursue her career in dance much easier being in a city that had so many different programs. Plus the tuition was much cheaper than OSU.

Even after all of the time had passed I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my career.

Everyone seemed to have a plan for their future. Casey had the art gallery she would be working at, Gen had dance, Will had football, etc.

I tried to not worry too much about it. I had a feeling that things would work out in the way they were supposed to. That's what I kept telling myself.

I told myself that I'd spend time working on my issues and that's exactly what I'd been doing the past two months. I started therapy and it had been exactly what I needed.

I still had a lot of grief and trauma to work through. But I'd learned how to deal with change much better now.

In the next few weeks, I'd be embarking on a new chapter of my life. I'd been avoiding the future for so long but now I was ready for whatever was to come next.

I reached forward and grabbed the bowl of popcorn. The anchors on ESPN droned on and on about their predictions for the draft.

We all decided to watch the draft together. Some of my roommates were sitting with us and conversation drifted in and out.