Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Everyone knows that the largest of events will quite often originate from the smallest of actions. A tornado may originate from the gentle flap of a butterfly's wings. A fire may spark from a lit cigarette in a dustbin.

And a certain boy's fall from grace began with these words, "If you wanna be a hero that badly, there's a quick way to do it. Believe that you'll be born with a Quirk in your next life and take a dive off the roof!" The speaker was Katsuki Bakugo, a boy with volatile hair, an explosive quirk, and a hazardous personality. The receiver of these words was Izuku Midoriya, a Quirkless boy who wants to become a pro hero despite having no chance. Bakugo and Midoriya had been childhood friends in the past... but now were destined to become sworn enemies.

Izuku recoiled at these words, in pain at what his old friend had just said. He had taken Bakugo's crap for most of primary and all of middle school. So why did this hurt more than anything else Bakugo had said or done? By the time he looked up, Bakugo was gone. Not that he could have seen him through the tears cascading from his eyes. He barreled away from the school, his heart shattered by the one he had called a friend. He ran to the city, a place that always brought him comfort. Here, you could always find a hero saving the day, stopping a villain, saving civilians from a burning fire.

So why couldn't anyone save him from the bottomless pit he had fallen into?

Izuku stopped, the fog of innocence lifted from his brain. No matter what he did, he would always suffer for his quirklessness. No matter which school he went to, no matter who he became friends with... he would always be the one they laughed at.

He didn't really realize he was climbing up a stairwell to the roof of a nearby building. His feet seemed to move of their own accord, his mind already made up. And he did not disagree. He would always lose in life. Perhaps in death could he finally be free.

He stood on the edge of the roof, the soft feeling of rain on his cheeks. It reminded him of those rainy days, when he and his mother would stay in and play heroes. His mother would always be the damsel in distress, and he would always be the hero who saved the day.

He smiled, glad that of all the shit he had experienced over the years, he had some happy memories to cling to in his last moments of lived. He stepped off of the ledge and fell. Off the roof of the building he'd climbed and into the sweet embrace of death.