15. Matter Or Mind

❝ matter or mind ❞━ FARRAH ━

❝ matter or mind ❞
━ FARRAH ━

Gabriel isn't an odd person. Well, he's not an overly odd person. He has his days. Today is one of those days. His sneakers squeak against the floor as he runs over to me, eyes wide with haste.

"Gabe?" I ask in concern, gently tapping the chart on the nurse's station as he approaches me.

If I didn't know any better, I would assume he witnessed a fight break out in the cafeteria and he's coming to tell me every single detail but if that were the case, he wouldn't be the first person running with news.

I assume this is personal.

When he's close enough, he leans into me and lowers his voice, "Why the fuck didn't you tell me that you're fucking that gorgeous specimen?"

My eyes widen as I turn in the direction of his jutted thumb toward the other nurse's station closer to the elevator. Shit.

"He was asking for you and his voice? I didn't know you went for Italians, Fae —"

"Shh, shh, shh." I hold my finger to his mouth and shove the chart in his grasp nervously. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Gabe rolls his eyes but says nothing about the new weight in his arms, "You're a terrible liar. Like, world-class horrible. If there was an award for worst liar in the world, you'd be getting that trophy."

"Don't you have better things to do?"

"And don't you have a beautiful Italian to talk to?"

I squeeze my eyes shut to try not to flip off my coworker with a freshly manicured finger before opening them and nodding in acceptance.

"Do me a favor and check on Val. This won't take long." I hope. Gabe nods and watches as I go off to Domenico who hasn't stopped looking at me since I first looked at him.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Matter of fact, what the hell are you even doing here?" The words spill from my mouth before I can stop them, my eyes widening at the sight of the man towering above me.

Those stormy grey eyes of his inspect me with their usual contemplation — as if trying to pick apart my soul and discover my deepest fears with a knee-wobbling gaze.

But it's not that easy.

It never is.

He runs his eyes over my scrubs in thought, and I'm left trying to understand what was happening. Why he's standing in the middle of the hospital dressed in a suit and loosened tie and visually devouring me to the point where I want to do nothing but give into him.

I hold my breath in anticipation.

He smirks and removes the hidden object from his breast pocket. What he reveals and places on the desk of the nurse's station garners the attention of my colleagues and the parents of my patients as they walk by.