35. Mrs. Santino

"What if something happens to you?" My voice fills the air surrounding us

"What if something happens to you?" My voice fills the air surrounding us. My head is on his chest and his fingers massage my scalp.

He kisses my temple, "Nothing will happen to me."

I resist the urge to kiss my teeth because we both know that's not a guarantee, "You don't know that, Domenico."

"I do," He retorts yet his tone is as soft as ever. "He won't try anything at the meeting because if he does, he won't get the satisfaction of taking everything from me. Stripping me of everything I hold dear in my heart."

Yeah, because that makes everything better.

"And no, he won't be able to touch anyone at the compound."

Still doesn't soothe my soul but I just nod. Lingering on the thought won't do us any good. But part of me wants to ask what makes him so sure.

"What do we do after the meeting?" I decide to ask instead.

He moves his hand to caress my cheek, "What do you want to do?"

"Go back to America. Go back to work." I say, Lina's words replaying in my head. Maybe going back will help in making me feel better. Just putting my mind to work and doing what I have to do.

Nico looks at me, "Are you sure you're ready to go back?"

I shrug, "Maybe." I breathe in, "It's now or never, right?" The rhetoric question is rightfully met with silence, but seeing as Nico is an amazing man who knows my mind, he speaks.

"In this case, never is better than now."

I pour and turn to him, "And what, just avoid working there for the rest of my life?"

"Work somewhere else. Work here. Or don't work at all." This makes me chuckle. He smiles, "I want to take care of you, amore mio. I want to marry you, have our little ones running around, while you stay by my side as a Santino."

My smile widens, "Is that a proposal?"

He kisses my lips, "I want it to be, but I'd rather do it when there isn't a threat ahead of us."

"Fuck the threat." I joke, "Me and my homies hate threats."

He chuckles and shakes his head, "Go to sleep, dolcezza."

And like a spell on my soul, my eyes close and I'm enveloped by dreams.

Waking up to a cold bed, I wasn't sure if I should be surprised or disappointed. Or both.