Chapter 48

Brie puts the finishing touches to my hair and make-up, complimenting her own work as she goes.

“I’m just saying if I don’t end up with a career in dance or fashion design or party planning, which according to Tara I’m born for, then I could always become a good old fashioned beauty school dropout.” She jokes, but it’s a reminder that the girl is so talented. She looks me over one last time.

“Jayce was right, you are perfection! You ready to see?” I nod, very aware of how heavy my head feels with so much product in my hair.

She turns me to the mirror and I can’t believe my own reflection.

My eyes look bigger, they’re coated in a masterful blend of shadows with a strong brow and extremely exaggerated bold liner. My skin looks flawless and my lips have been made the stars of the show in a stunning red lip matching my dress.

I feel more beautiful than I’ve ever felt in my life.

Brie holds up a mirror so I can truly take in my hair. She’s curled it all into gorgeous ringlets that cascade down my back, with two pieces pulled back from the front to create some shape. She leaves some little twirls to frame my face.

“Brie..” The words just won’t form.

“I know, I’m a goddess and you should all bow down before my greatness.” She gives a regal wave. I try so hard not to cry, I don’t want to ruin her masterpiece.

There’s a gentle knock at the door which Brie answers. Tara steps into the room, her hand covers her mouth in a gasp as she sees me.

“Oh Aleah! You look spectacular! Brianna so do you, there are going to be some fights tonight over the guys that get to fill your dance cards!” I laugh at Tara’s words. For a woman so young she talks like she’s from another time.

I look over Tara’s beautiful outfit – her gown is cream with dainty gold embroidery details. I think about how many women would kill to have a dress like that for their wedding never mind just an engagement party.

“You look unbelievable Tara, Dads a very lucky man.” I meant it, no matter how I felt about Tara before I could see now how much she meant to dad and what she was willing to do and sacrifice to have me be a part of her life.

“Yes seriously Ms T, you’re stunning, you need to give me your skincare routine!” Tara chuckles at Brie fan-girling over her.

“Aleah I have something for you, I won’t be offended if you don’t want to wear it so please don’t feel like you have too. After I saw your dress I knew I had something that would look perfect.”

She hands me a small blue velvet box. I open it to see an exquisite silver hair comb encrusted with pearls and ruby coloured stones.

“It was my mother’s, I know its not exactly the in style thing these days but-"

“I love it.”

Her smiles beams down to me, I hand her the comb and turn for her to place it in my hair.

“Thank you Tara, this means so much to me.” It really did, I knew losing her mother so young must mean Tara has limited memories of her mum. Her trusting this to me for the night meant more than she knew.

Tara stopped a tear falling from her eye before she spoke.

“Right you two, let’s get you in these dresses.”

Brie insisted on being in her dress before she showed me mine. Elizabeth joined us and helped Brie with her zip.

Brie hadn’t altered her dress that much but she had added a small layer of gold crystals around the exposed back. It made her sparkle as she moved. She put on a gold upper arm bangle to complete the look.