Chapter 4: Changes

When Nat awoke the next morning, she nestled her head deep into Steve's chest, the same sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. She groaned slightly, the sound causing Steve to stroke her ombré hair and hold her closer. "You still not feeling well?" She shook her head, wrapping her legs around his. He loved it when she got this cuddly.

Suddenly, Nat sat up, and dashed out of the room to the toilet in their en-suite, and vomited up her guts. Steve followed her, holding back her tangled hair and rubbing circles on her back, between the shoulder blades. She groaned, clutching her stomach tightly. Once she had finished, Steve flushed the toilet for her and grabbed a damp cloth, cleaning up the area around her mouth, and hugged her gently. "You feeling better?"
"What do you think?" Steve rocked her gently from side to side, and she leant her head on his shoulder, succumbing to the soothing movement.
"Do you feel like breakfast just yet?"
"No."
"Not even coffee...?"
"No."
"God, you must really feel like shit."
"Language, Cap." He chuckled as she smiled weakly.
"Remember when I first said that in Sokovia, when we first met Wa- " She nodded, silencing him before he could finish that sentence.
"And we never let that down!" She giggled, stroking his hand.
"Do you want to go back to bed? I can carry you, if you would prefer?" He offered, reaching over to get her a glass of water.
"No, I can't. I need to stay in the office. In case anyone goes on the channel."
"I can do that for you instead?"
"No, it's fine. Don't worry about it. I have a certain way of doing things."
"Don't you always..." He said, remembering when Fury out her on desk duty when she was pregnant with Lily. She eased herself upright and standing, Steve helping her.
"You go and make sure Lily is alright, I'll go and get dressed." She said, as they left the tiny bathroom, leaving the door open.
"Alright, if you're sure..." He replied, kissing her forehead before leaving the room.

Nat began to undress, rummaging around in her cupboard for a clean shirt, when her eyes fell on her reflection in the bathroom mirror. She squinted at it, before her eyes widening in shock. Her hands flew to her stomach, and she noticed that it had grown slightly in size. Quickly, she counted on her fingers how long it had been since her last period.

Just over a month.

She grabbed a green tank top, black ripped jeans, and her black pleather biker jacket, pulling on her black heeled boots and left the room, grabbing her motorcycle keys on the way out. "Babe! I'm just popping out to the store! I'll be back soon!" She called, her hand on the front door handle.
"What are you getting, mommy?" Lily asked, confused, her head tilted to one side.
"Mommy's just getting something to make her feel better, ok? Now, you be a good girl for daddy. I'll be back in twenty minutes tops."
"Ok."
"You sure you don't want me to get it for you, 'Tasha?" Steve asked, popping his head around the door as he dried a plate.
"No, it's fine, don't worry. I love you." She said, kissing him on the lips and Lily on the cheek.
"Love you too." He smiled, picking up Lily and placing her on the side of his hip.
"Love you mommy." Lily said sadly, cuddling her daddy. Nat waved goodbye as she opened the door and closed it behind her. She moved over to her motorcycle and put on the helmet, it being slightly snug around her head like it should be. She started up the engine and drove out.

It was a five minute ride to the nearest drug store, but even still, when she parked, Nat raced to the nearest bin and threw up again. She wiped her mouth on her sleeve before entering, reaching into her pocket for a breath mint. She picked up two tests and some boxes of paracetamol, making her way over to the cashier. "That'll be $10.50." The lady behind the till said in a bored tone. Nat paid and put the small boxes in her pockets, zipping them closed. Hopping on her bike, she made her way quickly back home.

She opened the front door and Lily came charging at her, arms wide open ready for a hug. Natasha bent down and embraced her, lifting her up onto her hip. "Hey." Steve said, coming over to her and kissing her on the lips before closing the door behind her. "Pepper's dropping Morgan off here in five. She and Tony have to work."
"That's fine."
"Did you get the medicine, mommy?" Lily asked earnestly, looking up at her, before snuggling her head into her chest.
"Yes. Yes I did." Nat replied, looking Steve dead in the eye.

Morgan had arrived, with Pepper apologising profusely about the last minute arrangement. She and Lily had gone to play in Lily's room, with Nat and Steve in the office together.
"You know, I didn't just get paracetamol." Nat said, looking up at him as she paced the room, Steve looking through some files.
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah." She pulled out the tests from her pocket. Steve looked at her in shock.
"You can't be serious?" He stuttered. Nat looked over her left shoulder at the wall, before turning back to face him.
"Steve, I've been feeling awful for a while now. I've been throwing up violently, really violently, for the past two days. I've gained weight. It can't be a coincidence, now can it? Plus I haven't had my period for about a month, so..."
"Take the tests."
"I was already gonna. Steve, are you annoyed? I mean, we didn't plan this?"
"No, no. How could I be annoyed? Lily wasn't planned and she is the best thing that's ever happened to us. She brought us together in this relationship, and I'm truly grateful for her. Don't ever think I'm annoyed at you for our little family." He leaned over to her and placed his hands on her cheeks, kissing her gently.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Nat walked back into the office, sticks in hand. "Are the results back yet?" Steve asked, looking up from where he was sitting.
"No. We gotta wait a few minutes." She replied, placing them down on the table. Steve opened his arms out, waiting for them to cuddle. She moved over to him, and sat on his lap, leaning her head on his chest. He stroked her hair, kissing her.

An alarm went off on her phone, signalling that the tests were done. "Right. Moment of truth." She joked, as Steve leaned over and picked them up.
"Do you wanna look, or should I?" He asked.
"You look. I'm too nervous. Wait! No. Give me one." She answered hastily, opening up her hand. He placed one upside down in it, and they both turned them over. They looked at each other in shock and joy.

Both were positive.

"We're having another baby." She breathed, kissing him in the lips.
"Ewwwww!" Lily and Morgan cried as they walked in to the room.
"How long have you two been there?" Nat asked, worried.
"Only to see you kiss." Morgan replied, smiling innocently.
"Did you hear us say anything?" She asked.
"Nat, it's fine." Steve said, trying to calm her down.
"No, mommy." Lily said, running over to them.
"That's good." Nat smiled, taking Steve's empty hand in hers.
"What's in your hands?" Lily asked sweetly, Morgan coming over to join her, toy pony in hand.
"Oh, it's nothing sweetheart, don't worry." Nat said, Steve giving her a look.
"Ok." She said, as she and Morgan ran back upstairs to her room.

"Why didn't you tell her?" Steve asked, looking at her, a serious look on her face.
"It's too early. I haven't wrapped my head around it, and what if we tell her and I lose the baby."
"You're not gonna lose the baby."

Nat sat there, staring at the test in her hand, turning it over in her fingers. Steve placed the test back on the table, and began stroking her hair again. "What's up? What's on your mind?"
"I don't know. This is meant to be exciting. And yet, I don't feel as excited as I should."
"The last five years have been too tough on everyone. I still feel guilty for what happened in Wakanda. But, I also know that we will get through this, and we will make everything work and be alright." Nat laughed a little.
"How are you so good at those hero speeches of yours?" She said, looking up at him and raising an eyebrow.
"Don't know, really. It comes from the heart I guess?" He laughed, holding her close. "Everything will be ok."
"I know. I have you and Lily."