Chapter 11: The EPR Paradox

4 weeks later...

Nat, Steve, Scott, Hailey, Bruce, and Lily all stood in a large, open room, with a big, ugly, brown van in front of them, and vast amounts of complicated technology around them.

"Okay, here we go. Time travel test number one." Banner announced, standing behind a tablet covered in buttons, knobs, and levers. "Scott, fire up the, uh, van thing." Scott opened up the black doors of the van. The inside glowed golden and purple, mainly purple.
"Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby." Steve walked over from the generators towards Nat, Banner and Lily.
"Good," Banner replied. "Because if we blow the grid, I don't want to lose, uh, Tiny here in the 1950s." He pointed to Scott, who was dressed in a suit similar to his Ant-Man one.
"Excuse me?" Scott asked nervously.
"He's kidding." Nat smirked, looking up from the tablet in her hands. She turned to Banner. "You can't say things like that."
"So, we aren't going to lose him?" Lily asked, slightly scared.
"No, baby, we won't. Scott will be fine." She reassured her.
"Ok, good."
"It was a bad joke." Bruce said to the room. Hailey rolled her eyes at him, before turning back to her tablet. Scott walked closer towards the van, until he was half a foot away.
"You were kidding, right?" Nat asked the Hulk, quietly, so that no one else could hear.
"I have no idea. We're talking about time travel here." He whispered back. "Either it's all a joke, or none of it is." He turned round to Scott and gave him a thumbs up. "We're good!" He turned around, looking weary. "Get your helmet on. Scott, I'm gonna send you back a week... let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Make sense?"
"Perfectly not confusing." Scott said sarcastically, waving a hand forwards.
"Good luck, Scott. You got this." Steve said, supportively.
"You're right. I do, Captain America." He flipped his helmet on, before being sucked into the glowing box in the van.

"On the count of three..." Hulk prepared to bring him back, pressing buttons, and preparing to pull a lever. "Three," Everyone watched the van in anticipation. "Two, one." He pressed down on the final button, and looked up at the van. A teenage boy re-emerged, in a suit too big for him.
"Uh, guys?" The kid said, unsure of what was happening. "This doesn't feel right."
"What's going on?" Steve asked.
"Who is that?" Hailey questioned.
"Hold on." Banner said, fumbling with the controls.
"Is that Scott?" Nat questioned, stepping forwards slightly.
"Yes it's Scott." The kid retorted. Lily burst out laughing, as Scott was sucked back into the box.
"Lily, this isn't funny!" Nat said, watching the van in horror.
"What's going on, Bruce?" Hailey asked, as Scott emerged, but now as an old man.
"Oh, my back!" Scott groaned, holding his back through the suit. Lily began laughing even louder.
"What is this?" Nat asked, turning rapidly to Banner.
"Hold on a second." Banner turned back to the controls. "Could I get a little space here?"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Can you bring him back?" Steve enquired, hurrying over to Nat.
"I'm working on it!" Banner said, frantically buttons, trying to reverse the damage. He began hitting the controls somewhat gently, and Scott was sucked back into the box. This time, a much younger Scott appeared.

"It's a baby." Steve said, unimpressed. Lily was practically screaming with laughter.
"It's Scott." Hulk said.
"As a baby." Steve reiterated.
"He'll grow."
"Being Scott back." Banner turned to Nat.
"When I say kill the power, kill the power."
"Oh, my god." She muttered, rushing over to the emergency generators.
"And... kill it!" She turned the lever, causing Scott to once again get sucked back into the van, before re-emerging, as if nothing had happened. He stood there, stunned.
"Somebody peed my pants." He stammered, causing Lily to cry with laughter.
"Oh, thank God." Nat sighed, placing one hand on her chest, and the other on her larger stomach, walking back over to the group.
"But I don't know if it was baby me or old me." He continued, standing stock still. "Or just me me."
"Time travel!" Banner yelled, raising his arms. Steve scoffed, rolling his eyes as we walked to where Nat was standing. "What? I see this as an absolute win." Steve kissed Nat's forehead and stroked Lily's hair, before exiting the building. Nat turned to watch him leave, her plait falling from over her shoulder onto her back.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Steve walked around outside the compound, hands on his hips. He had expected it to work perfectly, but he had expected that they win the Battle of Wakanda. He stood, staring off into the distance, before lowering his head, staring at the floor instead. Looking up again, he noticed the peaceful birdsong was interrupted by the loud revving of a car engine, and so his eyes met the cause. A loud and fast sports car sped its way into the drive, stopping too far away to be in front of Steve, and so it reversed back. Steve looked with bemusement in his eyes at Tony, who was naturally sitting in the driver's seat; he had suspected nothing else. Tony opened the window, but kept his gaze in front of him, his eyes shielded by a pair of his high-tech sunglasses. He turned his head to face Steve. "Why the long face? Let me guess, he turned into a baby."
"Among other things, yeah. What are you doing here?"
"It's the EPR Paradox." Tony opened the door and got out of his car. "Instead of pushing Lang through time, you might've wound up... pushing time through Lang. It's tricky, dangerous. Somebody could've cautioned you against it."
"You did." Steve realised.
"Oh, did I?" Tony asked, sarcastically. "Well, thank God I'm here. Regardless, I fixed it." He held up his hand, facing the back of it to Steve, displaying some kind of hand ring on it. "A fully functioning time-space GPS." Steve smiled at him. "I just want peace." Tony added, nonchalantly, holding up his fingers in the relevant sign. "Turns out resentment is corrosive, and I hate it."
"Me too."
"We got a shot at getting these stones, but I gotta tell you my priorities. Bring back what we lost, I hope, yes. Keep what I found, I have to, at all costs."
"I agree with you there. We just found out about a month ago that Natasha and I are having twins."
"Wow! Congratulations, man. But I gotta say, all the evidence pointed to that." Tony smirked.
"Wait, you knew all along?"
"So did Pepper, but we wanted to wait until you guys found out at the doctor's. Now, back to everything else going on. And maybe not die trying. Would be nice." Steve nodded.
"Sounds like a deal." He offered out his hand to his friend. Tony took it, shaking it. Tony moved over to the boot of his car, and opened it. Steve followed closely behind, as Tony lifted up a pile of Morgan's things, before upturning them back into the car, displaying Cap's circular shield. Steve sighed. "Tony, I don't know."
"Why? He made it for you. Plus, honestly, I have to get it out of the garage before Morgan takes it sledding." He placed it onto Steve's arm, and they both took it in.
"Thank you Tony."
Will you keep that a little quiet? Didn't bring one for the whole team." He grabbed a small case from the car. "We are getting the whole team, yeah?" He closed the boot. Steve half nodded.
"We're working on that right now."

————————————————————————————————————————————

Scott sat on one of the metal benches outside the front of the compound, preparing to eat a taco. A loud noise erupted from the sky, and he looked up to see what it was, and was met with a large gust of wind hitting him smack in the face, blowing away half of the contents in his taco, as a spaceship landed on the grassy area in front of him. "Hey, Humie." Rocket called from the ship's entrance, as Nebula walked down the stairs. "Where's big green?"
"The kitchen, I think." Scott called back to the genetically enhanced creature. He turned to Nebula walking towards the compound's entrance. "That's awesome." He gestured towards the ship behind her. Nebula began to speak into her brown and orange jacket.
"Rhodey, careful on re-entry. There's an idiot in the landing zone." Scott watched her as she stalked off, until Rhodey landed so close to him, he dropped the remainder of his taco. His hand flew to the centre of his chest.
"Oh, God." He said.
"What's up, Regular-Sized Man?" Rhodey spoke through his suit in a somewhat unfriendly manner. Banner walked over to Scott, glaring at Rhodey, 4 tacos in his hand. He looked at Scott, and handed him 2 tacos, smiling as he did so, before walking over to the spaceship, with Rocket standing on the steps.