Chapter 5: Oops

2 weeks later...

Steve awoke to an empty bed, and the en-suite door wide open. He leaned over to the box of paracetamol tablets and glass of water on Nat's bedside cabinet, and clambered out of bed. He walked into the room, and squatted down beside her, offering her the glass and the box. "Thanks." She murmured, taking them from him. She took two out and popped them in her mouth, taking a swig of water. "I'd forgotten how shit morning sickness was."
"I remember you having a tough time." He said softly, pulling her close and stroking her hair. "Is it worse than last time?" She nodded, leaning her head into the crook of his neck. "Are we going to tell Lily?"
"We will..."
"Today...?"
"I don't know."
"We need to find out when we're gonna tell her. We can't keep her in the dark for much longer."
"I know. I'm already showing." He kissed her head, and she smiled slightly, her hands cradling her small bump.
"Mommy? I think you need to see a doctor. You're still sick!" Lily said, coming into the bathroom, teddy at her side.
"Really? You think so?" She smiled, hugging her tightly.
"Yeah, I do!" She said, looking at her with sad eyes. Natasha laughed, holding Steve's hand in hers and holding her daughter.
"How about we go and get some breakfast?" Steve suggested, looking at Nat.
"Sounds good to me. Lily, why don't you go and get dressed?"
"Ok!" She jumped up, and ran into her room.

————————————————————————————————————————————

"So, Lily? What would you like to do today?" Nat asked, glass of juice in her hands, resting her elbows on the table, after finishing breakfast.
"Can I go and play with Morgan?" She asked, looking up at her with a sweet smile, batting her eyes, causing Nat and Steve to start laughing.
"I see she's picked that up from you." Steve chortled.
"Um, I only do that when I'm on missions." Nat laughed, hugging Lily from the side.
"Please?" Lily pleaded, still holding her sweet smile.
"I can call Pepper? Ask her if it's alright?" Steve offered, shrugging his shoulders and tilting his head to the side.
"Could you?" Nat said, taking a sip of juice.
"Yeah." He pulled out his phone, and dialled her number, lifting the device to his ear.

"Are you feeling better, mommy?" Lily asked, looking up at her with her big green eyes.
"Yes, I am, baby." Nat answered, somewhat truthfully, stroking Lily's pale, golden hair. She did feel slightly better, but she still felt awful.
"I'm glad. I don't like it when you're feeling unwell." She replied, hugging her mum tightly.

"You sure? Great, thanks so much! I can't stay for long, but I'm sure 'Tasha would love to stay and chat. Alright we'll see you there in about an hour. Bye Pepper." Steve said as he hung up. "She said that we can go over to theirs for Lily and Morgan's play date, and she's invited us round for a chat as well."
"Don't you have work?" Nat asked, hoping for him to say no.
"Unfortunately, yes. But I can stay for a little while."
"How long until we go?" Lily asked excitedly.
"In 40 minutes, as it takes us about 20 to get there." He said, kissing her on the top of the head.
"Which means "go and do your teeth" sweetheart." Nat said, lifting her up off of the chair and putting her down on the floor.
"Ok!" She cried, skipping off towards the stairs.
"What's up?" Steve said as Natasha stood up, pulling her into his arms.
"Pepper's gonna figure it out." She said, her voice slightly muffled as her face was buried in its usual spot on his chest.
"How's she gonna figure it out?"
"Well... I mean, it's kinda obvious... my stomach's bigger... and I look like shit..."
"'Tasha you don't look like shit. And watch your language. Who knows how long Lily's gonna be brushing her teeth? And as for your stomach, it doesn't look that much bigger. You can barely notice it."
"She will somehow figure it out. She's one of the smartest people I know."
"Stop worrying about it. If she knows, she knows. It won't really make much of a difference." He soothed, caressing her ombré tresses.
"Yeah, but what if something bad happens and- "
"Nothing bad is going to happen, trust me."

————————————————————————————————————————————

Nat and Steve walked up the steps to the Stark-Potts residence: a beautiful log house with a small area of woodland and a lake, with a small pier leading into it. Steve had Lily on his hip, arm around Natasha as she nursed a small headache. To save her from further pain, Steve decided to ring the doorbell. The door opened thirty seconds later, with Pepper on the other side. "Steve, Nat, Lily! Come in." She said, moving to the side, Nat giving her a hug as they entered.
"Hi, Pepper. Thanks for having us."
"Don't worry about it." She said, leading them to the living room. "Lily, Morgan's up in her room if you want to go up there."
"Ok! Thanks auntie Pepper!" Lily cried as Steve put her down, running up the stairs.
"Can I get you guys anything? Tea? Coffee? Juice?"
"Juice sounds good." Nat said, sitting down on the sofa, hand on her stomach.
"Coffee for me, please." Steve added, taking a seat beside her.
"Alright." She said, moving over to the open plan kitchen, opening the fridge door. "How're you guys doing? How's everyone?"
"They're good. Carol's not going to be online for a while, Nebula and Rocket are checking out any nearby spaceships, Rhodey's looking for Barton..." Nat began, Steve reaching over and placing an arm around her.
"And how about you?"
"Mornings are crap, forgot how bad morning sickness was- " Nat muttered, before her hand flew to her mouth.

But it was too late.

"Wait, what?! You're pregnant?!" Pepper blurted out, a bit too loudly, as Lily and Morgan came running into the room.
"What?" Lily asked, tilting her head to the side, standing near the door with Morgan beside her, Morgan's mouth wide open in shock. Nat put her face in her hands, shaking her head. Steve rubbed her back, pressing his lips together.
"Who's pregnant?" Tony said, smirking, waltzing into the room.
"We are." Steve said, hugging Nat, her head still in her hands.
"And I take it you didn't mean to say it out loud?" He laughed, Nat nodding. "Oh well! Congrats you two."
"Thanks." Steve said, smiling slightly.
"What does "pregnant" mean?" Lily asked, confused.
"Baby, it means you're gonna have a little brother or sister. Daddy and I are going to have another baby." Nat said, lifting her head up, smiling weakly at her. Lily squealed in excitement, and leapt at her in a huge hug, Tony laughing as he picked up Morgan, Pepper handing Nat and Steve their drinks.
"So, how far along are you?" Pepper asked, sitting dow opposite them.
"We believe around seven weeks?" Nat looked at Steve, Lily on her lap.
"That's really early." Tony said, sitting down beside Pepper.
"Yeah, that's why we didn't want to say anything just yet, but then it sorta slipped out..." Nat murmured, Steve rubbing her arm gently. She leaned her head on his shoulder, stroking Lily's hair. It was down today, reaching just past her shoulder, but it had a little flower clip to keep it from falling in front of her eyes.
"It's fine, don't worry about it. These things happen." Pepper reassured her, smiling supportively at them.
"I know." Nat smiled back.