Chapter 20: The gauntlet

7 weeks later...

"Hey, Tony. How much longer until it's ready?" Steve asked, walking up to him with Nat at his side, supporting her waist as they moved.
"Look, Cap. I'm sorry. You just can't rush my art." Tony muttered, watching the machine work carefully, Rocket and Banner at his sides, as he manoeuvred the gears into place.
"Mummy, how long until we're going over to Morgan's?" Lily asked, pulling gently at Nat's sweatpants.
"As soon as Tony has finished building the gauntlet and everyone is brought back." Nat said, not taking her eyes off of the glass box, stroking Lily's golden hair. Tony began to carefully place the Stones in the correct places as the others began filing into the room, as Nat winced slightly.
"You ok?" Steve asked, looking at her with concern. Nat smiled at him.
"I'm fine. Probably Braxton Hicks. Nothing to worry about."
"You sure?"
"Yes. It felt just like when I was having Munchkin down here." She pointed at Lily with her thumb. Steve turned his eyes back to the gauntlet in front of them.
"Alright. If you're sure." Tony rubbed his mouth and goatee, exhausted from working all night. He blinked a few times, before continuing, Banner and Rocket watching, intrigued. The machine placed each Stone in place on the red and silver metal glove, made from the same gold titanium alloy as Tony's suit. They sparked slightly as they merged themselves with the metal. They all watched in anticipation, waiting for something to happen.
"Boom!" Rocket shouted, causing them all to jump, Tony's hand flying to his chest as he breathed heavily, giving the raccoon a dirty look, before lowering it. The all looked at him in annoyance, as the creature laughed. Tony walked over to him so that he was an inch away from his furry face.
"Don't do that again." He spat, before turning away and taking the gauntlet out, placing it into a glass case and taking it into a different room.
"Sorry." Rocket grumped, before following him.

"All right, the glove's ready." Rocket murmured as he and Tony finished up , allowing it to levitate in holographic projections. "Question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"
"I'll do it." Thor volunteered, stumbling forwards, hands raised slightly.
"Excuse me?" Tony asked, confused.
"It's okay." Thor reassured him, everyone looking at the Demi-God.
"Stop, stop. Slow down." Tony used his arms to barricade him knocking into the gauntlet's box.
"Thor. Just wait." Steve said, trying to help Tony. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."
"I'm sorry. What, we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"
"We should at least discuss it." Steve pushed.
"Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring everybody back." Thor pointed out.
"I agree with him there." Nat voiced, nodding at Thor.
"Thank you, Natasha." Thor gestured to her, nodding his head. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me."
"Wait, wait. Who said you're the strongest Avenger?" Tony backtracked, looking at him with distaste.
"Oh, come on. Grow up all of you." Nat said, annoyed, folding her arms across her chest, resting them on her huge stomach.
"Normally, you're right." Tony said, shaking his head.
"It's my duty." Thor continued, ignoring Tony, trying to get closer to the gauntlet.
"It's not about that."
"It's not that." Banner sat in the corner, contemplating the thoughts racing through his mind, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration.
"Hey, buddy..."
"Stop it! Just let me." Thor's loud voice turned into a whisper. "Just let me do it." He clasped Tony's hands in his gloved ones. "Just let me do something good. Something right."
"Look, it's not just the fact... that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You're in no condition."
"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked him, smiling slightly in reassurance.
"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey asked, not helping the situation at all. Thor pointed at him in annoyance, but kept his gaze fixed on Tony.
"Lightning."
"Yeah." Tony replied, unsure.
"Lightning." Thor repeated.
"Lightning won't help you, pal." Banner murmured, everyone turning to face him. "It's gotta be me." Thor shook his head, feeling defeated. "You saw what those Stones did to Thanos. They almost killed him. None of you could survive."
"How do we know you will?" Steve asked, as the Hulk moved towards the gauntlet, staring at it.
"We don't." He replied. "But the radiation's mostly gamma. It's like... I was made for this."
"Bruce. Are you sure?" Nat's voice littered with concern.
"It has to be me." He responded monotonously.