Chapter 7 the monster

Hey guys how've y'all been? I've been sick these past few days myself but at least that's all I really have to complain about Anyways Another chapter. As Liz and Auri rest up let's rewind the clock a few hours to see how Dawn is doing.

(Dawn POV)

"Gan we're getting close to the river... do you see or hear anything?" I asked galloping as fast as I could.

"Nothing in sight yet Ma'am and all I can hear is your hooves." He told me

"... alright do you smell anything."

"I think we're near a river and yes I smell blood but I can't tell how fresh it may be yet." He told me

"Good enough." I told him

We continued our trek through the snow filled forest and I galloped as fast as my legs could. I barely noticed the snow pelting my face as I ran but Gan did point it out and got my attention.
"Seems like a bad storm may be coming."

"You're right. We should hurry." I sped up more than I already had thankful that I great up in the snow so I didn't slip and slide like most centaur would. Then finally we reached it... four dead bodies. All taken out with some wound or another. 2 of them appeared to have been impaled, one had multiple wounds but looks like he was done in by having his innards ripped out. Meanwhile the last one died in a strange manner almost as if... he exploded on the inside?

"Think we should've brought Leur?" Gan asked me.

"No she wouldn't be able to save them they've been corpses for a few hours and these wounds... whatever did this was clearly intelligent." I responded

"Hey boss... you hear that sound?

I held up my hand to signal quiet
...

*thud thud thud*
"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

The creature made itself known.

A tall mantis like creature stood before us some 10 feet tall with claws almost the size of Gan. I was a solid 7'6" which was quite for a Centaur woman but this thing towered over even me.

It's basically the Stalkers from Etrian Odyssey but taller"This thing is huge hey Boss you think this is that "Daimanos" we were sent to investigate

"This thing is huge hey Boss you think this is that "Daimanos" we were sent to investigate." Gan asked me
"As much as I'd love to say yes something tells me that isn't the case." I replied back smirking
The bug didn't wait any longer letting out another screech before jumping right towards me bringing its claw down.
Instinctively I brought my shield up to block the strike and while it worked there was a lot of force behind the strike forcing me to dig my hooves into the ground.
"Chief you alright" Gan asked now with his short sword drawn, though it was more a standard long sword for the goblins small size,as he set himself into a leaping position.
"So far. It's not strong enough to penetrate my shield meaning our armor should be able to take a couple hits. That being said there's enough force behind those hits to do serious damage so try to dodge. One wrong hit could stun you and that would mean death out here." I got out quickly trying to give Gan a heads up.