Season 2, Chapter 15: A Tale of Two Dragons

"Are you ready for the Screaming Death drill?" I ask, the horn in my hands.

"Whenever you are." Hiccup says.

I take a breath and blow into the horn. The horn blares, the sound ringing through the village. The drill started off well. Everyone got up and into the air. The Twins did their job, as did Fishlegs. The only problem was with Snotlout and Astrid.

While Astrid is on her way to the Great Hall, as she was assigned, Snotlout flies right past the armoury, where he was assigned, and nearly hits Astrid. Both Stormfly and Hookfang race towards the Great Hall. Hiccup groans and facepalms, probably because of Snotlout.

"What did Snotlout do?" I ask.

"He threw fish in Astrid's face." I hear the sound of Stormfly flinging a volley of spikes down towards the village. "And Stormfly decided to skewer them."

Hookfang and Stormfly race forward and start fighting midair, grappling and biting at each other. Then instead of protecting the Great Hall, the two dragons smash into the Great Hall, absolutely wrecking the place. Hiccup and I land, and I hear people running out of the Great Hall, screaming.

"Oh, great. I can see Dad's face already." Hiccup says.

"Well at least I don't have to see it." I say.

(*Time Skip*)

"When you told me you'd be running a Screaming Death Attack Drill, I assumed you wouldn't actually try to destroy the entire Village!"

"Technically, Chief, it was just the Great Hall." Fishlegs interrupts Dad as he gives us a scolding lecture. Dad turns back to Fishlegs and I can feel the look Dad is giving him. "And I'll let you take it from here." adds Fishlegs nervously.

Seeing the opportunity, I explain, "Dad, this was supposed to be a practice run, but it just got out of hand. We're sorry."

"Uh 'sorry' doesn't unburn Silent Sven's chest hair." Gobber says.

"No, it certainly does not," Dad says, "which brings me to your punishment."

(*Time Skip*)

"Ugh, Mildew's cabbage field." I say, the odeur assaulting my nose. "This is revolting."

"Actually, it's not that bad." Ruff says as she and Tuff start eating a cabbage.

"Yeah, don't judge it till you try it." Tuff adds.

"Ok gang." I say, getting everyone's attention. "Our Dad wants this field cleared and ready for planting by the end of the week."

Hiccup continues, "Astrid, Snotlout, you two break down and clear out the big boulders on the far edge, while--"

"Actually, that sounds more like a man's job." Snotlout says.

"Hmm, you're right. Better give me Fishlegs or Nara instead." sasses Astrid.

"Huh? Astrid, what do you see when you look over here?" Snotlout asks, before going into a pose.

"Is that a serious question?" Astrid asks, the sass heavy in her voice.

"Misogyny and bigotry." I answer.

"You see 5,000 pounds of boulder crushing splendor." Snotlout says.

"Just make sure you don't slow me down, boulder boy." Astrid says.

Astrid walks right past him and Hookfang knocks into Snotlout. Hiccup and I just sigh.

A little while later, everyone is doing their jobs. Vision and I are picking boulders from the field and giving them to Fishlegs and Meatlug so they can sort them into being used for catapults or Meatlug's snack. Hiccup is taking boulders and blasting them to pieces. The twins are helping their dragon dig up any rocks.