Chapter 7: How to Pick Your Dragon

Hiccup has been trying to convince Dad to get a dragon, but Dad has remained adamant in his refusals. I supported Hiccup in the beginning, but then stopped when we were getting nowhere. Hiccup and I fly down to the docks, where Hiccup tells me, the villagers are pulling in a destroyed boat.

"It's that rogue dragon again. This is the second boat this week that it's destroyed." Gobber says.

"Well we've lost another whole catch. Could have saved it if we got there sooner." Dad says.

I know what Hiccup's gonna say. "Hiccup, don't--"

"I know how you could have gotten there sooner." Hiccup says ignoring me. Dad sighs

"Here we go again."

"If you'd flown there on a dragon, you'd been there in 5 minutes, instead of 2 hours, and you might have been able to chase that dragon off for good." Hiccup says. Honestly, I agree with Hiccup, but I know it's not gonna work.

"As the Chief of Berk, I have to do things the Viking way. Not the Dragon way."

"I don't see why you can't do both." I mumble.

"Well the Viking way is costing us a lot of fish, and almost as many boats." Hiccup interjects.

"The kids got a point, Stoick. If you were on a dragon, you could protect this island from a lot of things. Including Alvin." Gobber says.

"Exactly. You could use a dragon to--" I start, but Dad cuts me off.

"You're right, Gobber. Alvin knows we have dragons. He'll be back."

"You saw what those dragons did. They had Alvin on the run. Imagine if you were the one commanding them." Gobber says.

"I'm listening."

"Wait. so he'll listen to 2 seconds of Gobber saying what we've been saying, but not when we say it. Typical." I mutter to Hiccup.

"I can see it now. A proud chief ruling his domain from the back of a fire breathing reptile. Gives me Goosebumps." Gobber continues.

"That's what we've--"

"Gobber's right. I need to learn to fly. When do we start the lesson?" Dad asks.

"I don't know. Shouldn't we ask Gobber?" We sass together.

"Well I don't really have a preference, but the sooner is always better, don't ya think." Gobber says.

I sigh and take off to train while Hiccup takes Dad on his first flying lesson. I spend a couple of hours practicing archery from Vision's back and then completing some difficult aerial maneuvers. Towards the end of the day, I just relax and let Vision fly. I hear Vision slowly getting behind Toothless with Dad and Hiccup. I follow silently, but I know Toothless knows we're there.

Dad says, "I've spent my entire life on Berk. Climbed it's hills, explored it's forests, swam it's waters. I've seen every inch, but I never thought I'd see it like this."

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Hiccup says.

"No. It's more than that, Hiccup. Look at that. All of my people. Everyone is safe. It's a good feeling." Dad says.

"I know." I say spooking them. "I've heard it's an amazing sight." The sadness I've always kept in me since the knife attack doubles. It feels like holding the sky, the weight crushing me into oblivion. The dragons sense my sadness and croon to me. I just look down and direct Vision to land. I just need some alone time. I come back home late and just go to bed.