Chapter 18 - Forest of the Dead

Forest of the Dead, part 1 -

"Your gun, River", the Oracle called.

River got her gun out with a nod and shot a square in the wall, "This way, quickly. Move!"

They ran and Dave followed, "Hey, who turned out the lights?"

They made their way back to the room with the window in the ceiling and the Time Lords got to sonicking the darkness around them.

"OK, we've got a clear spot. In, in, in! Right in the centre. In the middle of the light, quickly. Don't let your shadows cross", River instructed, "Oracle."

"On it", she muttered.

"There's no lights here. Sunset's coming. We can't stay long. Have you found a live one?"

"Maybe. It's getting harder to tell, what's wrong with you?", she hit her sonic when it wasn't working properly anymore, "Five hundred years old, don't give up on me now."

"We're going to need a chicken leg. Who's got a chicken leg?", Other Dave handed River one, "Thanks, Dave."

She moved next to the Oracle and threw it into the darkness, within less than a second it turned into nothing but a bone and landed a few inches away.

"Okay. Okay, we've got a hot one. Watch your feet", River said and stepped back.

"They have our scent now, they're going to be moving in on us now", the Oracle said.

"They won't attack until there's enough of them", the Doctor added.

River moved back to the group who all sat on the floor. Other Dave spoke up, "Oh, yeah, who are they? You haven't even told us. You just expect us to trust them?"

"She's the Oracle", River said, matter-of-factly.

"And who is the Oracle?", Lux asked.

"The only story you'll ever tell. If you survive them."

"You say she's your friend, but she doesn't even know who you are", Anita pointed out.

"Listen, all you need to know is this. I'd trust that woman to the end of the universe. And actually, we've been."

The Oracle gave River the shortest look of confusion before getting back to the shadows.

"She doesn't act like she trusts you", Anita argued.

"Yeah, there's a tiny problem. She hasn't met me yet", River got up to look directly at Anita before going up behind the Oracle and the Doctor, "What's wrong with them?"

"There's a signal coming from somewhere, interfering with them", the Oracle said and got up.

"Then use the red setting", River suggested.

"It doesn't have a red setting. What's a red setting do?"

"Well, use the dampers."

"Are you just trying to one-up me now?"

"It'll have them one day", she handed her her sonic.

"So, some time in the future, I just give you my sonic?"

"Yeah."

"Why would I do that?"

While the women were speaking the Doctor had taken River's sonic from the Oracle and tried to figure out what the interference was while still listening in on them.

"I didn't pluck it from your cold dead hands, if that's what you're worried about."

"And how do I know that?"