Chapter 30 - The End Of Time

The End Of Time, part 4 -

They ran after him all the way to the flight deck where they started to hear the four beats, transmitted over the comms.

"What's that?", Addams asked.

"Coming from Earth", Rossiter looked at the screen, "It's on every single wavelength."

The Oracle's eyes lit up again and she leaned against a railing for support.

"Contact. At last", Rassilon got up to walk back to the large auditorium of the High Council, "Now the High Council of Time Lords must vote. Whether we die here, today, or return to the waking world and complete the Ultimate Sanction. For this is the hour when either Gallifrey falls, or Gallifrey rises!"

"Gallifrey rises", the Time Lords responded.

"Gallifrey rises!"

"Gallifrey rises", the Oracle whispered under her breath still in trance, "Gallifrey rises."

When she came to she saw the Doctor rushing around to work on wires and panels. Everyone's heads followed him to understand.

"But you said your people were dead", Wilf started, "Past tense."

"Inside the Time War", the Doctor explained haphazardly, "And the whole War was Timelocked. Like, sealed inside a bubble. It's not a bubble but just think of a bubble. Nothing can get in or get out of the Timelock. Don't you see? Nothing can get in or get out, except something that was already there."

"The signal", Wilf concluded, "Since he was a kid."

"If they can follow the signal, they can escape before they die."

"Well then, big reunion. We'll have a party", Wilf exclaimed.

"There will be no party", the Doctor said gloomily.

"But I've heard you talk about your people like they're wonderful!"

"That's how we choose to remember them, the Time Lords of old", the Doctor glanced over at the Oracle, remembering the tipping point when she didn't return from her mission, "But then they went to war. An endless war, and it changed them right to the core. You've seen our enemies, Wilf. The Time Lords are more dangerous than any of them."

"Time Lords, what lords?", Addams asked confused, watching him rush around, "Anyone want to explain?"

"Right, yes, you", he pointed at her, "This is a salvage ship, yes? You go trawling the asteroid fields for junk?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"So, you've got asteroid lasers!"

"Yeah, but they're all frazzled", Rossiter argued.

"Consider them unfrazzled", the Doctor threw a lever, opening a door on either side of the flight deck, "You there, what's your name?", he pointed at Addams, "I'm going to need you in navigation. And you", he turned to Rossiter, "Get in the laser pod. Wilfred."

"Yeah?"

He went over to him, "Laser number two. The old soldier's got one more battle."

Wilf obliged and stepped away but Addams stopped them all angrily, "This ship can't move. It's dead!"

"Fix the heating?", the Doctor asked mockingly.

He threw two levers making the ship power up.

"But now they can see us", Addams complained.

"Oh, yes", the Doctor replied with satisfaction.

"This is my ship, and you're not moving it. Step away from the wheel", Addams stepped up to him.