Chapter 1

Seeing the guardians outside my home, I quickly pack up mine and my daughter, Adira, items. Once making sure there is no trace of us here, I grab all the bags along with Adira and make my way to the Porche I bought when I first settled down here. Throughout the midst of my panicking, my shield I set up against Lissa and my bond fell, leading me to feel her anxiety and some feeling I can't identify. It's almost like hate or mischief.

Quickly trying to put the shield back up, I start the car and drive. Looking through the rearview mirror, I see my four-month-old daughter's curious green eyes focused on me. I still remember the day I found out I was pregnant with her.

1 year ago

I could barely make out my surroundings, my head feeling dizzy and my eyesight a little blurry. Blinking a few times, it finally went away and I sat up, realizing I was in a hospital bed. Before I could press the call button on the hospital remote, someone walks in.

"Hello. I am Nurse Betty. What is your name?" asked the women.

"I'm Rose. Sorry, what am I doing here?" I said, my mind still scattering.

"Well, I'm sorry to break the news, but you were in a serious car accident-"

Before she could say anymore, I cut in frantically.

"What?! Is everyone okay?!"

She looks at me with sad eyes. "There was only one other survivor besides you. I believe her name is Vasilisa. Now, unfortunately, neither of you can visit each other yet. They are still running tests on her."

My eyes fill with tears. I lost the only family I really knew; I lost Rhea, who was like my mom; I lost Eric, who was like my dad. The only one I was happy to have lost was Andre. All I wanted to do was scream at her, to tell her that she is wrong. But I didn't. Instead, I just let myself cry it out.

I feel Nurse Betty grab my hand. "I know that this is difficult for you, but I must speak to you about something else. You are only sixteen as far as I can tell and was wondering if you have ever engaged in sexual intercourse within the past month?"

I look at her weirdly with tears in my eyes. I was about to say know until a remember something tragic that happened a month ago, "Yes. Why? Is there something else wrong?"

"Rose, you are pregnant. A month along to be more precise."

I just laugh. "That's impossible. I'm on birth control." But Andre never used a condom.

"Well then, your pregnancy is a miracle. To be honest, there is almost a three percent chance you could get pregnant while using protection and I guess you are one of those people." She said calmly.

I look at her with a deadly serious face, tears running down my face. "But nurse, there is no way I can take care of this baby. You don't understand. This isn't my fault. I could never do this on my own."

"Hush now. I know this is not ideal, but maybe you should think about it. A child is a blessing and maybe this was a way to make sure you will always have a part of the father with you. Maybe this is God's plan." She says soothingly and I start to calm down.

I don't tell her though that I'm not really a firm believer in God. Instead, I say, "Can I have an ultrasound, please? I want to see the baby."

She squeezes my hand before letting go. "Of course."

Nurse Betty gets the machine all setting of before lifting my gown and putting on some weird gel on my stomach. Moving the wand she put on my stomach around. She finally holds it in place and moves a screen so I can see it.