Chapter 10

The next thing I knew, people were leaving the church in a panic, the guardians surrounding the area, trying to find any small clue as to who could have possibly done the vandalism. I walk with the stroller away in the direction others were going, only turning back to see that Lissa was being escorted by her family, probably towards her dorm.

Once I was finally out of the building, I start walking back to my dorm, determined that once I get back in my room, I shift to Lissa's mind. Though she does not know about the bond and what it entails, it still feels like an invasion, but I have to know about what she is feeling.

Making it to my dorm, I lay down on the bed with Adira laying on top of me so that while I am "with" Lissa, if she starts crying or anything, I can make sure to shift back and check on her.

Concentrating, I focus my thoughts on Lissa, willing my mind to join hers. After a few minutes of attempts, it finally works and I am in the guardian meeting room, where her family, Dimitri, Alberta, and other guardian sit, discussing the events.

"Has anybody noticed anything suspicious in these last few hours? Guardian Belikov, you were working the night shift. Did you see anybody near the church?" Alberta asks.

"Not at all, ma'am. However, there is a chance that when I was relieved of my post, it gave about ten minutes for the person to vandalize the church."

Alberta ponders that for a moment. "You should have been relieved around 5:30 and Guardian Alto got there at 5:40, so we have the ten-minute gap. We at least have the time slot in which this crime was committed. Any ideas on how to find the person?"

Lissa feels despair and defeated as she believes there is no hope in finding the person. She thinks about the last time it happened, a month before I came back. A fox was mauled on her bed and a message was written all the walls in blood. Oh no.

Stan says, "Well, this is the second time this has happened. So, this person has to be somewhat close to Princess Vasilisa. Therefore, it must be a student."

"What about Novice Hathaway? She and Princess Vasilisa used to be close friends." A guardian I didn't know said. I could feel Lissa actually thinking about the possibility that it is me.

Dimitri calmly retorts. "It is not possible. Miss Hathaway didn't even come back until after the first incident occurred so the timing doesn't work. Plus, last night we had training so she would have been too exhausted to wake up that early."

Alberta adds on. "She also wouldn't leave her daughter on her own. And she wouldn't bring her to kill an animal in cold blood."

"But how do you know that? You said it yourself. She wasn't here for the first incident, but that doesn't mean she didn't have contact with somebody here." The same guardian said who said my name.

Dimitri looks at Lissa, thinking about something when I see his eyes widen slightly in shock. Does he know I'm watching? I see him slightly whisper I'm sorry, though I think I am the only one who noticed.

"Because she shares a bond with the Princess." He says. Lissa freezes. Shit.

The guardian just laughs. "That is not possible. It is extremely rare and the only known case is Vladimir and Anna."

Alberta ignores the girl, focusing on Dimitri. "How did you come across that information?"

"She told me two days ago. It formed over a year ago, or more specifically, after the accident. According to Miss Hathaway, Vasilisa 'healed' her somehow. She remembers flying out a window yet she wasn't really that injured when she woke up in the hospital."