Chapter 37

When my eyes first opened, I saw only white. I blink a few times and it finally comes to me that I'm looking at a ceiling. Hearing a beeping noise, I turn my head to the side to see a heart monitor. I attempt to sit up only to be gently pushed down. I'm glad I was too since I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

"You need to rest. You've got a couple of bruised ribs." Dimitri said, taking a seat by me.

I grab his hand and entangle our fingers. "What happened?"

"Victor Dashkov's niece had killed a guardian who was watching the gate and turned into a Strigoi. The guardians who helped Victor had escaped and Natalie turned them. It was a plan put into place if Victor was caught. Luckily, we were able to take care of them all."

"I killed Natalie." I said, not a question but a statement. Tears were welling up in my eyes.

He nods, squeezing my hand. "You did. I'm sorry Rose. I know that she was your friend."

I sniffle, wiping my tears away. "What happens now?"

"Victor is going to be transferred to Court to wait for his trial. And there's going to be a molnija marking ceremony in two days."

I remember the conversation I had with Victor before the attack. "He knows, I think. Victor. He put together the pieces. The fact that the charm didn't work well told him that we were already together. What if he uses that in court?"

Dimitri leans back in his chair and lets out a sigh. "We will deal with that if that time ever comes. Now, I should go get Guardian Petrov. She wanted to know when you woke up."

He stands up but I hold his hand tightly. "Wait. Who's with Adira?"

"While you were unconscious, I was watching her. Right now, though, Christian is taking care of her. I can go get her for you." He says and I nod.

While he was gone, Dr. Olendzki gave me a check-up. She deemed that I was okay but wanted me to stay for a few more hours to make sure that I didn't have any more injuries. After she left, Dimitri came back with Adira and Alberta. He hands me my daughter and I lay her beside me on the bed so that there wasn't any pressure on my ribs.

"I'm glad to see that you are awake, Rose. We were all worried when you fainted." Alberta says, taking a seat in the empty chair by the hospital bed.

"Yeah, I think it was probably the shock." I suggest.

She lets out a noise in agreement. "It probably was. I do want to talk to you and Guardian Belikov about what you discussed with Mr. Dashkov."

I close my eyes, panicking about what was to come. Adira cuddles into my arm and I welcome it. "You heard it, didn't you?

"Guardian Belikov. Be honest with me. What charm did Mr. Dashkov put on Rose's necklace?"

Dimitri kept his head held high. "It was a lust charm."

"And why did the charm not work?"

"Because Rose and I are in a relationship."

"So, it wasn't a fighting charm?" Alberta presses.

He shakes his head. "No."

"How long have you two been together?"

"Since the Russia trip."

"Alberta, are you going to get us in trouble?" I ask, scared.

"No, I'm not. This stays between us. I've always had a feeling that there was something going on between you two. And I know that Dimitri will take care of you and vice versa. As long as it doesn't affect your training, I don't care, but you need to be careful. I cannot protect you if anyone else finds out."