Chapter 26

Opening up the message, I read what he wrote. 'Little Dhampir, I have something urgent I need to speak to you about. Would you be able to take a nap so I can dream walk to you??'

Curious, I reply with a quick 'yes' and place my phone on charge. I quickly go to the kitchen to let Dimitri and his mother know that I'm going to lay down for a little and that they can save me some food to eat later. Going back to the room, I turn off the lights and crawl into bed to fall asleep. It wasn't too hard to take a nap since I was already tired.

My vision blurs into the academy courtyard and I see Adrian sitting on one of the benches. Walking over to him, I sit down on the other side of the bench.

He gives me a small smile. "It's nice to see you again, Little Dhampir. How have you been?"

"I've been alright. It's nice getting away from the academy for a little bit. How is everyone?"

His smile vanishes. "I mean, Mia, Mason, and Eddie are doing fine. Christian, on the other hand, is not."

I look at him with a worried expression. "What's going on with him?"

"He has to stay at the school clinic for a week. We went for a feeding a couple of days ago and I noticed that he doesn't drink that much from a feeder. I didn't think much of it until he passed out earlier today. From what I could pry out of Dr. Olendzki, he isn't getting the proper nutrients he needs as a Moroi."

I stay silent for a moment, thinking about what Adrian just told me. Christian has always seemed healthy. It never seemed like he was ever feeling ill, so it must have been gradual. "It could have to do with his parents. Maybe he's scared of becoming like him. What is Dr. Olendzki doing to help him?"

"He's on a blood drip right now. It's similar to an IV, but instead, it is blood. They are trying to give him enough nutrients. He hasn't woken up yet, so hopefully when he gets enough blood in his system, he will wake up." Adrian tells me, looking down at the floor.

"I wish I could be there for him. Maybe I could convince Di-Guardian Belikov to use his phone to call Christian once he's awake. So, since we are here, how are you doing, Adrian?"

He shrugs. "I haven't had alcohol since you left. Christian has been on my ass about drinking, which is helping me not give in. Same with the smoking. My body has been going through withdrawal and he has been helping me, but since he is...out of commission, I have no one to turn to. I guess I feel bad asking people for help, hence the reason why I have been drinking and smoking for a while. Christian voluntarily helped me, even though I know you asked him to, but it was nice to not have to ask someone myself."

I turn to him and wrap my arm around his shoulder, giving him a half hug. "I used to be the exact same way. After the whole Andre fiasco, I felt like if I told someone, they would feel burdened or that they would not believe me. It'll get better eventually. You may relapse a few times, but that is a part of the recovery process. The main reason why I asked Christian out of everybody was because I know he would make sure that you stay on path. I knew I could count on him to make sure you saw this through, especially because of how stubborn he is."

"You know, it helps when I don't use my...power. I guess that is why I would call it. I haven't dream walked until today since you left and I haven't used compulsion, which I could do to anyone, including Dhampir's and Moroi's. My mind doesn't feel as chaotic or crazy if I don't use my 'element.'" He says, placing his head on my shoulder.

"You've told me that before. You said that the more you use your power, the more you feel compelled to use it. I'm proud of you for the fact that you have tried hard not to use it. Don't let today stop you from trying."